Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric Roof Not Working - HELP! please

This is my battery reading today on the Westfalia console monitor MP battery reading.jpg Is this my main battery under the driver seat, or the leisure battery under the passenger seat?

I think Tina that this is the leisure battery voltage. All looks well. I have no idea why the battery symbol is “crossed” out.

have you hooked the car to the mains 240v via the cable on the left hand side of the van besides the water cap?

Connect to the mains see if that symbol goes off and try to the roof with the ignition in position 2, just for good measure have the drivers door open.

Hope you don’t mind but I’ve just posted on the FB forum. Let’s see if there are any responses.

I think Tina that this is the leisure battery voltage. All looks well. I have no idea why the battery symbol is “crossed” out.

have you hooked the car to the mains 240v via the cable on the left hand side of the van besides the water cap?

Connect to the mains see if that symbol goes off and try to the roof with the ignition in position 2, just for good measure have the drivers door open.

Good morning. Yes, I have hooked up to the mains, 240V, via the cable on the left hand side of the van, where the water inlet is also situated. That is why the Error of the battery, slashed, confuses me.

I will do as you say, but I am sure I have done this, as I have tried every possible scenario to raise my roof. I have also just seen the amazing tutorial of removing the auxiliary battery, posted on here by another member. At least I know I am doing right in trying to take out the leisure battery. :-D

I have learnt so much from everyone's comments and appreciate them so much. I have my Marco Polo (which I adore) booked in at the dealership I purchased it, 2 years ago, but, I am forever positive I might - fingers crossed - sort this out before it goes in. Hopefully saving myself hundreds of pounds doing the same tests they will do. If my simple tests do not work, then it is up to the professional to rectify my problem. I always think, by asking the right questions and getting others' personal experiences, you can learn a lot and learn to look after yourself and your belongings without relying on others. Of course, I respect the professionals when I cannot achieve a successful result myself. I like to have a go myself, and learn :)

I am grateful you have posted on Marco Polo Facebook and look forward to hearing from you again. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you. Tina

Thanks Tina, I hope you get the issue fixed asap and that it’s not too expensive. Please come back and let us know what happens next.
I think the VW guys also use westfalia and maybe a local camper van dealership to you might also be an option.

Hi Tina someone on the FB forum responded to say the leisure battery is below 10v I did explain that even with the ac cable connected to the mains you weren’t getting any movement.

When the ac connector is plugged in does it register on the westfalia panel? From memory an icon displays to depict a plug.

Out of interest with the engine not running what voltage is showing on the display?

Last edited:
Hi Tina someone on the FB forum responded to say the leisure battery is below 10v I did explain that even with the ac cable connected to the mains you weren’t getting any movement.

When the ac connector is plugged in does it register on the westfalia panel? From memory an icon displays to depict a plug.

Out of interest with the engine not running what voltage is showing on the display?
Would be interesting to know what the voltage reading is without the 240v supply connected or the engine running. Looks like it might be a duff leisure battery.

Would be interesting to know what the voltage reading is without the 240v supply connected or the engine running. Looks like it might be a duff leisure battery.
Yes it does sound like that but Tina stated that even with the ac connected the roof doesn’t move. I’d like to have it confirmed that the car is recognising the ac input from the mains. If she connects the car to the mains I think the display shows a small plug to show the car is connected to the 240v supply.

Yes it does sound like that but Tina stated that even with the ac connected the roof doesn’t move. I’d like to have it confirmed that the car is recognising the ac input from the mains. If she connects the car to the mains I think the display shows a small plug to show the car is connected to the 240v supply.
You are correct in as far as I know from what my one does, that when connected to AC supply a lead / plug icon is shown on the display.

I wonder if being on charge is one thing, but the 12v sink/supply for use is not available (bad cell?) This would be critical for function, if the battery is bad <10v the status shows as charging, but there isn’t enough stored/available voltage to make anything work (possibly related to the “intelligent” battery monitoring that stops you from draining the system)
A test of the state of the leisure battery would be a good starting point for the diagnostic's list.

You are correct in as far as I know from what my one does, that when connected to AC supply a lead / plug icon is shown on the display.

I wonder if being on charge is one thing, but the 12v sink/supply for use is not available (bad cell?) This would be critical for function, if the battery is bad <10v the status shows as charging, but there isn’t enough stored/available voltage to make anything work (possibly related to the “intelligent” battery monitoring that stops you from draining the system)
A test of the state of the leisure battery would be a good starting point for the diagnostic's list.
Yes great point. Again I asked Tina to tell us what the resting voltage is on the display. I.e. without the engine running or ignition key in the car. By comparison mine sits about 12.7v currently.

I’d be really interested to hear if Tina got this fixed. Sadly so many people seem to come into this forum and quickly disappear. Makes it a poorer resource for our Marco Polo experience.

:—(

Back