Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric Roof Not Working - HELP! please

Tina Pye

Hello everyone, I am soon to travel around Europe, from the UK, and whilst making sure everything was operational in my Marco Polo this weekend, to my shock and horror, the electric roof will not open. :-O Can anyone please tell me if there are simple things to look at to rectify this problem. The leisure and main batteries are fully charged. Do I have to take my MP to a dealer, or are there steps I can take to fix it myself. I am a lady of mature age and not afraid to have a go at fixing things myself, if it is possible. All, and any, suggestions would be greatly received. Thank you :) Tina

Steve B

Agree with Mark, if there are no beeping sounds and its dead, try the fuse. Its below the fridge, 30A fuse
1719226511577.png

J

j200george

VIP Member
Ignition key in the correct position?

Tina Pye

Sound to me like a fuse may have blown, check them all
Where abouts are you ?
Oh, hello Mark. Thank you for your reply :) I am in Norwich ... and you? Is there a way to tell if a fuse has fused? There are fuses on the leisure battery, under the passenger seat. Ahhhhh, Steve has just said it is a fuse under the fridge. I am kind of excited I am slowly getting to the bottom of this, but also daunted as I am not an engineer/mechanic. I am a palliative carer (end of life) and am not with my Marco Polo at the moment, but I will sure look under the fridge in search of this 30A fuse. Will I know if it has fused or not? I cannot thank you enough for your time in replying. Thank you my Knights In Shining Armour :) (I hope it is just the fuse - Gulp!) Regards, Tina

Tina Pye

Agree with Mark, if there are no beeping sounds and its dead, try the fuse. Its below the fridge, 30A fuse
View attachment 3642
Hi Steve :) Thank you so much for your time in answering my dilemma as to why my electric roof will not open. Your reply has been invaluable. I will definitely look under the fridge, to locate the 30A fuse. When I first pressed the OPEN button, in the console (to open the roof) there was a long, audible beep. I pressed the button again, and again the long beep was there. The third time there was no beep. Also, when there was no beep, a picture of a battery came onto the screen. This was when I hooked my MP up to my mains. I know both batteries are now fully charged :). When I find this 30A fuse, under the fridge, where do I go to purchase another one? Anywhere? (This is so out of my comfort zone, but I am willing to try and fix this, before going to a Mercedes dealer). Thank you for your help. Regards, Tina

Tina Pye

Ahhhh, I have just watched a video on how to check car fuses :-D. I now know what a blown fuse looks like (I am learning - YAY!)

Hi Steve :) Thank you so much for your time in answering my dilemma as to why my electric roof will not open. Your reply has been invaluable. I will definitely look under the fridge, to locate the 30A fuse. When I first pressed the OPEN button, in the console (to open the roof) there was a long, audible beep. I pressed the button again, and again the long beep was there. The third time there was no beep. Also, when there was no beep, a picture of a battery came onto the screen. This was when I hooked my MP up to my mains. I know both batteries are now fully charged :). When I find this 30A fuse, under the fridge, where do I go to purchase another one? Anywhere? (This is so out of my comfort zone, but I am willing to try and fix this, before going to a Mercedes dealer). Thank you for your help. Regards, Tina
I would just go to a auto electrician with this one for the following reasons:
Most Merc dealerships know sweet fa about the MP
You will have to book it on at a Merc dealership and wait days or even weeks, they will charge a hefty fee just to look into this.
An auto elec if you give him the details above will be able to check & replace the fuse if poss (remember that fuses blow for a reason so something more sinister may exist)
If you were near Manchester I could have helped !

J

j200george

VIP Member
Can I ask and I might have missed it, does your MP have the westfalia panel?

what status is it showing? Open/ closed ?

Are there any noises at all when you have the car in ignition position II and you select the roof option and try to open it?

Tina Pye

Sound to me like a fuse may have blown, check them all
Where abouts are you ?
Hello again Mark
I would just go to a auto electrician with this one for the following reasons:
Most Merc dealerships know sweet fa about the MP
You will have to book it on at a Merc dealership and wait days or even weeks, they will charge a hefty fee just to look into this.
An auto elec if you give him the details above will be able to check & replace the fuse if poss (remember that fuses blow for a reason so something more sinister may exist)
If you were near Manchester I could have helped !
Awwww, thank you Mark. I am truly trying to stay away from Merc dealerships and trying to sort out the fault myself. Today, I popped home in my 2 hr break and purchased some new 30A fuses. I can see all the fuses under the fridge. I was so positive and excited changing the 30A fuse. Fingers crossed my electric roof/bed space will raise. IT DIDN'T! (I could cry!). I checked the fuses with my Multimeter, and yes, they show a reading so the fuse was ok. So it wasn't the fuse. :-(

J

j200george

VIP Member
If you hold down both buttons on the wesfalia panel it takes you to another hidden screen. There’s an option with a list of error codes. You can google what they are, assuming you have a westfalia panel and not the wbac of newer MPs.

I keep asking diddy questions as above. I just have to assume you’ve had the roof up previously and I am asking stupid questions.

KevinIan

Hello everyone, I am soon to travel around Europe, from the UK, and whilst making sure everything was operational in my Marco Polo this weekend, to my shock and horror, the electric roof will not open. :-O Can anyone please tell me if there are simple things to look at to rectify this problem. The leisure and main batteries are fully charged. Do I have to take my MP to a dealer, or are there steps I can take to fix it myself. I am a lady of mature age and not afraid to have a go at fixing things myself, if it is possible. All, and any, suggestions would be greatly received. Thank you :) Tina
I’ve had this happen twice within a year and both times it was a main dealer job. First time it was a sensor issue and the second time a part needed ordering from Germany. I’m afraid, no useful advice.

Tina Pye

Can I ask and I might have missed it, does your MP have the westfalia panel?

what status is it showing? Open/ closed ?

Are there any noises at all when you have the car in ignition position II and you select the roof option and try to open it?
Hello j200george, Sorry for my late reply. There is no sound when I have the ignition at position 2. The status is showing as CLOSED. I have checked all the fuses and they are all ok and live (with a multimeter and there is a reading on all fuses). Thank you for your interest in trying to help me eliminate simple tests, to see if I can get my electric roof to open. I put the ignition in position 2, and then at position 3. I know both batteries are fully charged. Regards, Tina :)

Tina Pye

I’ve had this happen twice within a year and both times it was a main dealer job. First time it was a sensor issue and the second time a part needed ordering from Germany. I’m afraid, no useful advice.
Thank you KevinIan, I now have it booked in at the place I purchased it. They are diagnosing it next week. Regards, Tina

Tina Pye

As asked earlier by others , is the ignition switch a position 2 ?
Hi Mark, Yes. I tried it with the ignition at position 2 - Nothing! Then I tried it with the ignition fully on - Nothing! Both batteries are fully charged and all fuses are ok. Have a good day and thank you so much for your interest and response in helping me with this. Kind regards, Tina :)

Tina Pye

If you hold down both buttons on the wesfalia panel it takes you to another hidden screen. There’s an option with a list of error codes. You can google what they are, assuming you have a westfalia panel and not the wbac of newer MPs.

I keep asking diddy questions as above. I just have to assume you’ve had the roof up previously and I am asking stupid questions.
Oh nooo j200george. Your questions are not stupid. With every question, I have learnt so much. I will pop home, from work, lunchtime and press both buttons. This is amazing information, for which I thank you for. I always like to investigate, research and try to have a go at fixing things myself, so thank you for this invaluable information (a hidden screen? Amazing!). I will let you know the outcome. Kind regards, Tina :)

J

j200george

VIP Member
Tread carefully in there Tina just view any error codes don’t try and change anything.

btw there’s a Facebook group for Marco polo users which can at times be helpful.

Last edited:

Tina Pye

Oh nooo j200george. Your questions are not stupid. With every question, I have learnt so much. I will pop home, from work, lunchtime and press both buttons. This is amazing information, for which I thank you for. I always like to investigate, research and try to have a go at fixing things myself, so thank you for this invaluable information (a hidden screen? Amazing!). I will let you know the outcome
Tread carefully in there Tina just view any error codes don’t try and change anything.

btw there’s a Facebook group for Marco polo users which can at times be helpful.
Thank you for the wise words of advice "Tread carefully". I did :) .... Ok ... I pressed both buttons on the Westfalia panel and two errors appeared: A picture of a battery with a slash/line across it, and a picture of the Cool box icon. So, I tested the 15A Cool box fuse and there was a reading. I also turned the Cool box ON, and it got cold - So, all is working there. Brill! So, that leaves the battery error. This puzzles me as I have had my Marco Polo hooked up onto my main electricity for two days now. The Westfalia panel shows the leisure battery is full (this is the leisure battery reading, isn't it?). All vertical power lines are black and it shows 14.7V. There must be power in my leisure battery for the coolbox to get cold ... Yes? The water pump also works (water comes out of the tap and the shower in the rear). So why is there an Error picture of the battery? I also have a 'trickle charger' charging the main battery, under the driver seat. I do this when I leave my vehicle stationary for a while, as for some reason the main battery loses power standing still (probably the norm?). I can start the engine ok, so this means the main battery is ok.

I can start up my Marco Polo ~ This means the main battery is ok and charged
I can turn on my Cool Box ~ This means the interior appliances work, also all fuses are ok
So why are the Error codes 'battery with a slash through it, and Cool Box icon' showing?

I need to charge up the leisure battery, if the Error showing is the leisure battery? (see how confusing this is for me? Grrrr! ;-) ). Today I opened the side panel, under the passenger seat. Unscrewed the bolts holding the battery on the mount, that keeps the battery in place. I tried to pull the battery out. It moved a smidgen, but would not come out from under the passenger seat (I will now watch videos on how to remove the leisure battery) ... I am rolling my eyes upwards right now!

Can you confirm to me, please ... The power level, shown on the panel, is this the main battery or the leisure battery? I always thought it was the leisure battery reading. If it is, and it is registering 14.7V ... then my leisure battery is fully charged. If I can turn the ignition on, then my main battery is charged ... So what is the Error, of the battery with a slash through it? And why does the Cool Box error show, when my Cool Box works?

Does this eliminate the leisure battery being the cause of my electric roof not opening?

Sorry this reply is so long, and probably muddled, but I so want to master this and find out why my roof will not open.

* I enter my Marco Polo. I turn on the engine (Westfalia panel lights up). The power shows 14.7V. I turn the knob to the Raise The Roof setting. I press the knob and it shows the roof is CLOSED. I press the OPEN ^ button and nothing happens. No sound. Nothing.

Thank you for the Marco Polo facebook link. I find this site extremely helpful and I want to thank you once again for all your time and effort in trying to help me find out why my roof wont open. Thank you :) .
Here are the Errors shown on the Westfalia console panel 20240628_141909[1].jpg