Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thule Awning

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
@SteveR you need a pair of these for quick stops in the forest:

You make some good but not totally convincing positive points in support:D of the awning

Awning mount 2.jpg

Awning mount 3.jpg

@Epigram I find the the quick fix grommets just about acceptable, I'm awaiting the correct cover (whatever that looks like) from Westfalia so I'll let you know what it's like when/if i get it.

Awning mount.jpg

Awning mount 1.jpg

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
They look good. Although not entirely sure of the advantage over just planting the poles on the floor?

On that particular awning there were mounting plates you screwed to the side of the van, then if stopping over in a car park or anywhere you can't peg the feet to the ground it's a quick and easy way of securing the canopy. the 'Multi Anker' are an alternative that don't suffer subsequent rust problems of mounting the plates to the side of the van

Ashleyjbassett

Yes - they are Thule. Omnistore 2.6m. Easy enough to fix to the van yourself - simple DIY job, with a bit of care, planning and prep. Takes a couple of hours to do slowly. A small hole needs to be drilled towards the front and rivet-nuts are a tid I bought from this sites shop.

The awning isn’t suitable as a storm shelter or even for keeping consistent rain off your heads, but works as a sun shelter and keeping cover over the door to keep the surprise shower / light rain being dragged into the main compartment. I suggest getting straps in case of some gusts.

i would recommend ensuring you get the awning and mounts together for the MP, rather than trying to get second hand awning and mounts separately. In my research it was tough and the mounts aren’t Thule. I can’t remember the make, but if you are in need I can try and find out!

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
I think it's another case of many trying to be helpful and the op not bothering to look back and reply:mad:

Paxtonend

I am not sure why people are saying these awnings are not waterproof? We have been sitting under these roll out awnings (first VW Cali now a Marco Pol) with our beer in the pouring rain for many years and have never had drips on our heads. Obviously the rain blows in from the sides but in our experience 100% waterproof fabric. Hence if we don’t have it up at a slight angle we end up with a massive puddle on it which would not happen if the fabric was not waterproof. Also, with tie down straps we have left it out in some significant wind although I would not recommend this! It has been fine and I think they are therefore far more robust that they actually appear. Just brought a brand new MP which was someone else’s order (failed finance check) and there was no awning fitted so I got it dealer fitted before picking up the vehicle. They absolutely took my trousers off in terms of the retro fit cost, but unlike the VW Cali this required drilling so I just went with it although it hurt! Honestly though, for 20+ years we have used and abused these seemingly flimsy awnings both Fiamma and nThule and never broken one. In our opinion, especially with a dog it’s an essential bit of kit. Good luck.

J

j200george

VIP Member
I’ve got one on my MP I think it must have been retrofitted by a previous owner as MB didn’t have it on the spec sheet.

it’s a Thule ormister only downside I find is that there’s a bit of a rattle and clatter over bumps in the road.

if anyone can advise on fixes for this I’d love to hear it.