Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar Panel

GeorgeG

My current camper has a solar panel which works very well and keeps the fridge working when off grid. Has anyone on here fitted, or looked into fitting a solar panel? Or alternatively, an additional leisure battery.

Hi George,

Like the idea of solar panel. Paint has chipped off the roof in 2 places so having a solar panel might be a way forward. Out of interest did you have fitted or did it come with it? Also is it fitted -roof? - or is it collapsible?

Currently trying to work out if I can eek out 4 days camping off grid for the fridge and some night time led’s.... I’ve done a few days before, but not 4.

I’m sure someone will be along with some advice shortly.

Cheers.

Andy

Ragga

Hi George,

Like the idea of solar panel. Paint has chipped off the roof in 2 places so having a solar panel might be a way forward. Out of interest did you have fitted or did it come with it? Also is it fitted -roof? - or is it collapsible?

Currently trying to work out if I can eek out 4 days camping off grid for the fridge and some night time led’s.... I’ve done a few days before, but not 4.

I’m sure someone will be along with some advice shortly.

Cheers.

Andy
This German supplier looks to have found a good solution
https://www.motorfit.de/solar-anlag...solaranlage-flach-fuer-hochdach/a-1928498753/
I like the way it does not increase the overall height.

GeorgeG

Hi George,

Andy

My Westfalia Columbus (now replaced with a Marco Polo V220D) had a factory fitted solar panel which I ordered as I bought new. It wasn’t a thin panel and was in fact quite large, but the Ducato base vehicle was already 2.6m high and the panel fitted between the large roof lights. The MP is a different challenge as I want to keep it below 2m by using one of the new generation of thin, flexible solar panels. I’ve read quite a lot about fitting these to a California, but there doesn’t seem to be much information available in relation to the MP. In particular, I want to avoid drilling any holes in the roof or elsewhere in the bodywork because of potential warranty issues.

Having a solar panel meant that we hardly ever hooked up, even when electricity was available - it just wasn’t necessary. But the van had 2 leisure batteries and the lack of the additional battery in the MP will be another challenge. I’ll post my findings here when I find an installer I am happy with.

GeorgeG

Ragga

Looks very interesting, but unless I’m misreading the translation, they will only supply the panel if they fit it for you. A good place to start in my search for something suitable in the UK.

Many thanks Ragga for coming up with that.
A trip to Lubeck en route to Ribe, Skagen, Roskilde & Copenhagen, (all in Denmark), looks like a perfect excuse....

GeorgeG

A trip to Lubeck en route to Ribe, Skagen, Roskilde & Copenhagen, (all in Denmark), looks like a perfect excuse....

I wouldn’t rule that out! Last Autumn we drove to the Westfalia factory in Rheda-Wiedenbrück to have a couple of small warranty issues sorted which gave us an excuse to have a holiday in Germany.