Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Connecting a Driveaway Awning

Kirk Trewin

Kirk Trewin

VIP Member
Hello everyone,

I’ve recently bought a Vango Airhub Hexaway 2018 ( shown in the picture!) blow up awning and have just thought about how on earth I can attach it to the van as I have a roll out awning factory fitted meaning the channel reserved for connections is not available to use (I don’t think???)

Anyone else managed to overcome this problem without the need to throw straps over the roof?

Kirk

Attachments

• 0A07FAF8-48CF-42A2-8424-D9AD8FACFD6D.jpeg
    0A07FAF8-48CF-42A2-8424-D9AD8FACFD6D.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 45

Roy C

There is a channel for a kador strip at the front of the wind out awning. You need to buy a kador strip to fit the wind out awning channel and a figure of eight plastic connector to join to the drive-away awning via its kador strip (I checked and your awning should have one sewn in). This allows for rapid detachment and re-attachment. These are available as a kit from the shop here.

In theory you could connect your drive-away awning kador strip directly to the wind-out awning but it would be difficult to disconnect if you did indeed want to drive away and leave it for the day. The separate kit makes this very quick and easy.

Last edited:
Kirk Trewin

Kirk Trewin

VIP Member
There is a channel for a kador strip at the front of the wind out awning. You need to buy a kador strip to fit the wind out awning channel and a figure of eight plastic connector to join to the drive-away awning via its kador strip (I checked and your awning should have one sewn in). This allows for rapid detachment and re-attachment. These are available as a kit from the shop here.

In theory you could connect your drive-away awning kador strip directly to the wind-out awning but it would be difficult to disconnect if you did indeed want to drive away and leave it for the day. The separate kit makes this very quick and easy.

Kirk Trewin

Kirk Trewin

VIP Member
Thanks Roy C, I thought there would be a way but wasn’t sure and bonus that it can be bought from this shop!! I’ve just ordered the kit you talked about, as well as a digital DC pump, so shouldn’t make the process of putting up even quicker.

Thanks again.

Kirk Trewin

Kirk Trewin

VIP Member
Thanks for that RFT, I’ll see how this walk to the van and then check this out.

Roy C

Just looked at mine and I think it’s a non starter I’m afraid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s a shame. It is one slight fly in the ointment with the drive-away awnings attached via the kador strip that there is the gap between the back of the roll-out awning and the van where rain can get in. It only affects a small area but it would be nice to properly seal the connector part of the drive-away awnings. This problem will affect the VW Cali as well so I womder if anyome has found a solution?

Hi.

I talked with Vango about this and asked if they were aware of the issue and if interested in doing something. They weren’t aware of the van but we’re going to take a look and see what they might do.

I also sketched out an idea not too dissimilar to the Thule seal to a local tent repair shop who are going to make it up over next couple of weeks. Idea being to attach to the kador strip and then fold back over the awning to the channel that the roof sits in. Just need to find a way to secure it to that channel.

Highly likely to be a disaster, but fun little project to play with that im sure will need lots of revisions!!!

Also thought about a using a pool noodle to fill the gap as temp solution.

Be great to get those with far more skill in this space on the case to come up with a decent solution. I’d certainly buy it!

All the best.

Andy

Roy C

On the VW forum there are some posts mentioning a rubber seal to cover the gap, although this may be rollout awnings added by conversions companies. I will research further when I get back from holiday and I can take a proper look at the awning on my van.