Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof mounted solar panel vs Jackery combo

NauticalCamper

Hi all, next question…

I need to uplift the amount of power available to me when camping. As a family we go ‘off grid’ no longer than 7 days (imagine North Coast 500) but would like to be able to keep the fridge running constantly throughout.
I believe my 2 options are either to get a solar panel fitted to the roof to constantly feed supply or for about the same price, buy a Jackery 500 and solar panel.
Can anyone offer any advice on both options? Would either options fulfil my requirements? I don’t want to power the grid, I just want to keep things fresh for a week.
Thanks in advance. R

I fitted a solar panel from Solar Camper Solutions back in 2021 and this has proven to be very successful. So far have not required to top up the leisure battery by plugging into the mains.

They are slightly different solutions, both work. I use the Jackery, the disadvantage is you have to set it up so isn't constantly charging and there is a worry when you leave the camper on a site (theft). An advantage is you can pre charge and top up with the solar, and if the sun doesn't shine you can top up from the mains away from the camper. If I used my MP more than I do now I would go for the fixed solar panel.

Hi

Has anyone come across the Ecoflow alternator charger? It is a recent addition to their product line and will charge one of their Delta batteries at 800w from the car alternator.

I carry a Delta 2 for off grid and researching how best to charge it for longer periods. Today, I can’t make my mind up between the Alternator Charger or a fixed solar panel.

I like the control of it being able to charge from the alternator or charge the battery from the app.

So far no decision is made so I am interested to hear other solutions to longer off grid power.

Hi, sharing my experience - I needed to run fridge and charge laptop/phones. The default leisure battery is weak and was able to power it for ~8 hours only.
I've installed 100w ecoflow solar panel with some ugly DIY rail mount + victron 75/15 charger, and it was quite enough for summer in the central europe even when it was over +30.
The total price was about 400 euro including some tools. The most problematic thing - find proper nuts for the roof rails, I didn't find anything suitable and filed them from some generic alloy rail nuts.

Attachments

• 20240618_153410.jpg
    20240618_153410.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240618_153505.jpg
    20240618_153505.jpg
    743 KB · Views: 20
Hi, sharing my experience - I needed to run fridge and charge laptop/phones. The default leisure battery is weak and was able to power it for ~8 hours only.
I've installed 100w ecoflow solar panel with some ugly DIY rail mount + victron 75/15 charger, and it was quite enough for summer in the central europe even when it was over +30.
The total price was about 400 euro including some tools. The most problematic thing - find proper nuts for the roof rails, I didn't find anything suitable and filed them from some generic alloy rail nuts.
@nvo - that’s great to hear, thank you. I think I am moving more to the side of a solar panel vs the Jackery.

I fitted a solar panel from Solar Camper Solutions back in 2021 and this has proven to be very successful. So far have not required to top up the leisure battery by plugging into the mains.
Likewise we fitted Solar about 2021from same supplier. Great service and support
we also have an eco flow, but find that a bit belt and braces. Rarely need anything other than Solar for fridge and phone etc charging.
in winter weather in Scotland we appreciated the optional backup. Our eco flow is pretty small and fits between front seats….. acts as a nice little table too!

Likewise we fitted Solar about 2021from same supplier. Great service and support
we also have an eco flow, but find that a bit belt and braces. Rarely need anything other than Solar for fridge and phone etc charging.
in winter weather in Scotland we appreciated the optional backup. Our eco flow is pretty small and fits between front seats….. acts as a nice little table too!
Thanks. What’s an Eco Flow? Is that a smaller fridge/coolbox?

A future question of mine was/is going to be about that space between the two seats. I would ideally like the later model console with cup holders but that upgrade seems ridiculously expensive for what it is.

Hi Ecoflow is a recharge unit that you can charge from Solar or 13amp to then provide power backup for van.
great to reduce amount of charge used from leisure battery for every thing else electric you may want, kettle, phone, computer etc.

between seats I understand there is a Land Rover ‘storage box, with cup holders that fits We’ve not investigated as we like being able to easily move between driving seats an rear, especially when it’s raining!

Hi Ecoflow is a recharge unit that you can charge from Solar or 13amp to then provide power backup for van.
great to reduce amount of charge used from leisure battery for every thing else electric you may want, kettle, phone, computer etc.

between seats I understand there is a Land Rover ‘storage box, with cup holders that fits We’ve not investigated as we like being able to easily move between driving seats an rear, especially when it’s raining!
Just bought an Ecoflow River 2 Max with flexible solar panel. Been debating for a few months about whether to go for a portable unit or fixed roof solar panels. Decided on a portable unit because of much cheaper cost, ability to control the charging the batteries eg at night if required, flexibility to use for other items eg kettle instead of gas, no drag from panels on roof etc. In addition, the Ecoflow River 2 plus has the latest battery technology unlike its Jackery equivalent (and is cheaper). The solar panel fits easily up in the roof bed.

Can anyone advise how long ac would last on a fully charged unit such as an eco flow 2?

I have sleep apnea and use a machine with typical power consumption being approximately 53 watts.

Hi

For a 1KwH Delta 2 you will lose about 15% powering the inverter etc so a fully charged unit will hold usable power of about 870W. If your machine consumes 53 watts that should be a little over 16 hours before the Delta loses all power.

I have tested my Delta 2 and the 15% holds true but Ecoflow will help you directly on their support channels for a more accurate calculation.

Hi

For a 1KwH Delta 2 you will lose about 15% powering the inverter etc so a fully charged unit will hold usable power of about 870W. If your machine consumes 53 watts that should be a little over 16 hours before the Delta loses all power.

I have tested my Delta 2 and the 15% holds true but Ecoflow will help you directly on their support channels for a more accurate calculation.
Excellent. Thank you. My off grid exploits would probably only be for one or two nights maximum before I could recharge the unit. As long as I can get 7 hours for one night that would be plenty I think. Cheers.

Back