Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Marco Polo Conversion

P

Paul Smith

VIP Member
Having had our Marco Polo for just under 5 years and with a little more time on my hands, I decided to embark on a conversion. My wife and I were increasingly finding that the maximum number of passengers for all our trips at home and abroad was just the two of us and, whilst the rear seats were great in 'flat bed position', most of the time they just got in the way. One other thing, my wife really did want a WC option that was hidden and easily accessible.

So, the conversion involved several aspects. Firstly, removing the back shelf and rear seats (easier said than done). Secondly, constructing a two-part sliding bed and Porta Potti storage unit (there are plenty of kits on the market but they do require adjustment and finishing), making a rear storage cupboard and between-the-front-seats storage box (with hinged legs, which really help with access to the top bed area). The third part was getting the various foam cushions made and professionally upholstered in Nappa leather to match the front seats.

Anyway, we are really happy with the result, particularly the new found permeability of the rear area from both the side sliding door and rear tailgate (with a bit of ducking). All in all, it probably took me about 40 hours (including fixing mistakes) and cost £2,808, almost half of which was for the leather and upholstery.

For anyone interested, a few photos below:-

Marco Polo 2.jpg

Marco Polo 7.jpg

Marco Polo 22.jpg

Marco Polo 10.jpg

Marco Polo 11.jpg

Marco Polo 12.jpg

Marco Polo 19.jpg

Marco Polo 20.jpg

Marco Polo 21.jpg

Marco Polo 16.jpg

Hey ...

that looks pretty cool D.. whats the box between the front seats?
and how did u clamp the construction in the back down? some original seat sliders or?

a few photos of the storage space gained in the construction in the back would be nice. D

regards
van

Hi Van

The box in the front is just for everyday storage whilst travelling - maps, travel documents, snacks etc. It doubles up as an extra moveable seat but, best of all, the folding legs underneath make it a great step up to the upper bed area, rather than balancing on the seat arm. It is held firm by the two seat arms.

I’ll send a picture of the rear storage unit when I’m back home. It’s not large but good for a couple of small cases. The bed units also have storage beneath and extra storage when extended, so no need for clutter.

Keeping everything in place was a bit of an issue when I first tested it, particularly the leather seats, but I have found that some well placed Velcro and a little cut out in the side of the bed unit which fits over one of the original back shelf fixings, does the trick.

The great thing is that it can all be easily removed and the original seats and shelf put back in. The not so great thing is finding somewhere to store all the original stuff and actually carrying it there!

Paul

Looks a damn fine job that Paul well done
Thanks very much, Mark. A bit of trial and error but the matching leather really helps blend it all in and, as I said, movement around the rear area is so much better.

Paul

Back