Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

CHARGING AUXILIARY BATTERY

Rievaulx

I wonder anyone can help enlighten me re. the following, please? Question is about the auxiliary battery in my 21- plated MP.

Took the van into dealer a couple of months ago while still under warranty because of loss of MBAC functionality – the icon appeared on the head unit but didn't work (other functions such a 'phone and navigation all OK), so no fridge, pop-up roof operation, etc.

Diagnosis was that auxiliary battery needed to be replaced - and I was charged for it. It was claimed that the original battery could not be revived.

Since then it has become apparent that the aux battery level of charge gradually declines and is not being topped up by driving, even during long trips. I can however return it to 100% by plugging into an external electricity source via the “umbilical”. My suspicion is that the alternator is not doing its job, but I am absolutely not technically competent to be sure! More to the point I suspect that was the cause of the original problem, but not identified when dealer last had the vehicle. Makes me wonder if I've been ripped off!

Dealer suggests I bring the van in again, but won't commit about whether I'll end up being billed again.

I should be grateful for any comments and/or suggestions!

Rievaulx

Do you have any way of measuring the voltage at the battery terminals, are you in possession of a basic multimeter?
Thanks for your interest! Short answer is: no, and no. I base my observations on MBAC display only. Was wondering, though, if my "duff alternator" theory had any merit.

S

Sand

VIP Member
I wonder anyone can help enlighten me re. the following, please? Question is about the auxiliary battery in my 21- plated MP.

Took the van into dealer a couple of months ago while still under warranty because of loss of MBAC functionality – the icon appeared on the head unit but didn't work (other functions such a 'phone and navigation all OK), so no fridge, pop-up roof operation, etc.

Diagnosis was that auxiliary battery needed to be replaced - and I was charged for it. It was claimed that the original battery could not be revived.

Since then it has become apparent that the aux battery level of charge gradually declines and is not being topped up by driving, even during long trips. I can however return it to 100% by plugging into an external electricity source via the “umbilical”. My suspicion is that the alternator is not doing its job, but I am absolutely not technically competent to be sure! More to the point I suspect that was the cause of the original problem, but not identified when dealer last had the vehicle. Makes me wonder if I've been ripped off!

Dealer suggests I bring the van in again, but won't commit about whether I'll end up being billed again.

I should be grateful for any comments and/or suggestions!
I have a 71 plate MP (second owner). Took mine in to dealer as aux battery wouldn’t charge above 70%. They replaced it straight away under warranty & no charge. Recommendation is to put it on EHU once a week for it to reach 100%.

Grumpy Mumble

Thanks for your interest! Short answer is: no, and no. I base my observations on MBAC display only. Was wondering, though, if my "duff alternator" theory had any merit.
Without knowing what volts are getting to the auxiliary/ leisure battery it is hard to say. I would suspect that if the alternator was duff all your electrical reserves would fail to charge. I haven’t looked yet but I am guessing that there will be a charge controller somewhere that will prioritise the main battery to charge first, and then when full switch to charge the auxiliary battery. I would be looking here first rather than the alternator if the van is starting okay.
If you could beg/borrow/steal but then give it back, a multimeter that could save you a lot of unnecessary flannel from MB about what it may or may not be.

PeteS

Did they replace the auxiliary battery. If they did then I would take it back and say that it is still doing the same thing. You could talk to them to say that you are unhappy with having a replacement battery it did not fix the problem.

The fat controller

The aux battery does require charging via the external cable at intervals to keep it in condition. Once a month would be the minimum I'd suggest. Long drives will help if you do them often but as grumpy mumble says above the van will charge the main battery first.