Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brake pads and wear

J

j200george

VIP Member
Hi all. Our 2019MP has 19000 miles, recently I noticed a high pitched squeal coming from one of the wheels which would stop if I lightly touched the brake pedal.

today the “check brake pad wear” alert popped up.

Talked to a mechanic friend who suggested that one of the rear wheels calliper might be engaged and from his cursory inspection reckons that the brake pads have maybe 10k left in them. The rear drivers side disc does appear different to the passenger side, the drivers side has a red tinge to the lip of the disc whereas the passenger side disc is brown, like the other three corners.

Has anyone had to do a brake service and at what mileage did you have to do it?

I had my rear brake discs replaced at about that mileage. The squeal was intermittent but went away when I touched the brake pedal. It was caused by two issues. First the discs were corroded and had a lip, secondly the callipers were also corroded and not fully disengaging. The discs were replaced and the callipers were thoroughly cleaned. Not cheap to fix but the squealing was driving me mad! So far the problem has not reoccurred.

I had my rear brake discs replaced at about that mileage. The squeal was intermittent but went away when I touched the brake pedal. It was caused by two issues. First the discs were corroded and had a lip, secondly the callipers were also corroded and not fully disengaging. The discs were replaced and the callipers were thoroughly cleaned. Not cheap to fix but the squealing was driving me mad! So far the problem has not reoccurred.
Cheers Roy thanks for your response sounds like I’ll need both the discs and pads on the rears replaced.

Roy, can you recall the rough costs of that repair? Would you mind sharing please?

I imagine that when replacing discs you really should do both rears together.

Cheers I’ll update the forum later when I get a quote.

a friend recommended me a local smaller shop, waiting on a final cost but it looks like I’m going to need all discs and pads replaced. He gave me an indicative cost of about £400 all in but not sure when he sources the parts he will stand by that. As I say it was a personal recommendation so it’s more “mates rates” I think.

the discs on rear have a lip and the mechanic suggests just doing them all.

I got the car second hand at 6000 miles on a personal sale, I think that the previous owner towed a boat around. Not too sure if that’s maybe shortened the life of the pads.

I’ll update fully when I get a confirmed cost and thereafter what the findings are when the work is done.

I was going to attempt this myself but checked out a YouTube video. I don’t have the required tools and let’s face it brakes are quite important. ;-p

Last edited:
Cheers I’ll update the forum later when I get a quote.

a friend recommended me a local smaller shop, waiting on a final cost but it looks like I’m going to need all discs and pads replaced. He gave me an indicative cost of about £400 all in but not sure when he sources the parts he will stand by that. As I say it was a personal recommendation so it’s more “mates rates” I think.

the discs on rear have a lip and the mechanic suggests just doing them all.

I got the car second hand at 6000 miles on a personal sale, I think that the previous owner towed a boat around. Not too sure if that’s maybe shortened the life of the pads.

I’ll update fully when I get a confirmed cost and thereafter what the findings are when the work is done.

I was going to attempt this myself but checked out a YouTube video. I don’t have the required tools and let’s face it brakes are quite important. ;-p
Depends on the weight of the boat - my dinghy and roadbase are about 500Kg all-in which won't make a big difference to braking loads. A larger boat may well have an impact as will towing a large caravan.

From experience, a lot of the issues with brakes occur when a vehicle isn't used regularly which is often the case with camper vans - corrosion and other muck can make the brakes mechanisms stiffen up and not release properly. When you have the discs and pads replaced, it's worth getting the calipers and the mounting hardware and handbrake cleaned and lubricated, including the pistons, to make sure it all works the way it should.

Hope that helps.

Hi all. Our 2019MP has 19000 miles, recently I noticed a high pitched squeal coming from one of the wheels which would stop if I lightly touched the brake pedal.

today the “check brake pad wear” alert popped up.

Talked to a mechanic friend who suggested that one of the rear wheels calliper might be engaged and from his cursory inspection reckons that the brake pads have maybe 10k left in them. The rear drivers side disc does appear different to the passenger side, the drivers side has a red tinge to the lip of the disc whereas the passenger side disc is brown, like the other three corners.

Has anyone had to do a brake service and at what mileage did you have to do it?
Hi definitely the calipers, they stick especially if you have infrequent use or short distances, this was what i was told by a MB technician. Ours squeeled badly. However once I took it on a long trip. 90 miles there and back again it stopped squealing and hasn't done so since. I would suggest therefore taking your Marco Polo on a longer trip first.

Hi definitely the calipers, they stick especially if you have infrequent use or short distances, this was what i was told by a MB technician. Ours squeeled badly. However once I took it on a long trip. 90 miles there and back again it stopped squealing and hasn't done so since. I would suggest therefore taking your Marco Polo on a longer trip first.
Would it were that simple we are just back from a 550 mile tour round Scotland staying at Portsoy and onto Rosemarkie (only mention them cause they are fantastic for a trip away).

I had a similar squeal gradually building up.

My issue was the due to the slide bolts / springs in the pad carrier having corroded and actually seized on one side on the rear. This left the pads in contact with the disk causing the noise - obviously applying the breaks pushes the pads firmly onto the disk - so no noise.

One side needed a new carrier as the bolts attaching this to the caliper couldn't be freed without them snapping!

In part this was due to a lack of lubrication when assembling (MB main dealer sadly), and in part due to only infrequent use.

Pad carrier cost £121 +VAT. I can't break out the labour element because its all bundled up with other work (ABS sensors on front - yet another casualty of infrequent use!)

My indie said that he rarely sees either issue on vehicles that are used regularly - and ABS sensors v unusual for a young(ish) vehicle - yet there are quite a few reports of ABS faults on these forums.

I guess my experience ties in with the suggestion of going for a trip....if things aren't too bad the slides free up in use and all is well.

Brake discs and pads replaced all around £590.

Would it were that simple we are just back from a 550 mile tour round Scotland staying at Portsoy and onto Rosemarkie (only mention them cause they are fantastic for a trip away).
I guess how bad it is, it could simply be dirt in the caliper. If you know about brakes, it maybe worth buying something like Copperslip to give the calipers some lubrication. Make sure you don't get any lubricant on the disks or pads

If it continues then it may wear out the pads and eventually the disc

I guess how bad it is, it could simply be dirt in the caliper. If you know about brakes, it maybe worth buying something like Copperslip to give the calipers some lubrication. Make sure you don't get any lubricant on the disks or pads

If it continues then it may wear out the pads and eventually the disc
All replaced out now any way. Thanks all for your replies. I’m sure the chat will come in useful for others in the future.

Back