Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone use run flat tyres?

The fat controller

Hello all, after your thoughts and opinions if I may...

My 21MY is getting near to the end of its first set of tyres and I'm considering options.

I've been thinking about trying to retrofit a spare - the recess still seems to be there below, although it may need a bit of work to do.

Perhaps an easier alternate is just to fit run flat tyres, just curious whether anyone has any experience of this. I've never run them before and have slight concerns about the stiffer sidewalls combined with the weight of the van making it very crashy over the bumps.

Anyone with any experience or insight on this?

Cheers

Phil

After getting through three 19 inch low profile tyres due to sidewall damage on potholes. I have found a spare wheel essential because repair kits are a waste of time in such instances.
When the remaining tyres wore out I decided enough was enough and shelled out for a set of 17 inch wheels so that I could fit a high profile tyres which are much more resistant to sidewall damage with such a heavy vehicle.
The reduction in road noise and improvement in ride is significant and for me was well worth additional expense and peace of mind when negotiating potholes and rough roads.

For a while I experimented with a couple of all terrain tyres on the rear for improved grip on muddy fields but the vehicle sounded like and army truck so I reverted to Michelin Cross Climates with a M&S rating all round.

By the way, if you need a tyre replaced at the roadside, Mercedes breakdown recovery is a waste of time. The breakdown service will take you to a Mercedes garage which will then arrange the tyre replacement rather than directly to a tyre centre.
When this was offered to me I was able to use my normal holiday breakdown recovery insurance. The recovery firm collected a replacement tyre from a tyre retailer on the way to me and replaced the tyre at the roadside.
A world of difference between a “Can’t do, because it’s not in our contract with Mercedes” to “Can do and what can we do to get you quickly on your way Sir”

Hello all, after your thoughts and opinions if I may...

My 21MY is getting near to the end of its first set of tyres and I'm considering options.

I've been thinking about trying to retrofit a spare - the recess still seems to be there below, although it may need a bit of work to do.

Perhaps an easier alternate is just to fit run flat tyres, just curious whether anyone has any experience of this. I've never run them before and have slight concerns about the stiffer sidewalls combined with the weight of the van making it very crashy over the bumps.

Anyone with any experience or insight on this?

Cheers

Phil
1727073186890.jpeg1727073186890.jpeg

Sorry in haste … I’ve done a lot of research and these are perfect for my uses…

Thanks for the replies.

Epigram - this is exactly the type of scenario I'm trying to guard against. I have plenty of breakdown cover but we spend a certain amount of the summer in places which I would not want to have to wait for recovery from! Hence my thoughts about run flats.

Crispin - I've heard many good things about the all seasons, both those agilis and the cross climate Epigram mentions.

Are either of these available run flat? I feel that would be a higher priority for me personally than the additional grip.

Sorry in haste … I’ve done a lot of research and these are perfect for my uses…
Sorry to continue … the vans are heavy especially when your off on your adventures… massive side walls on these MS rated, great tread for all conditions a good ride on my 17’ - but go for the tallest profile you can fit on - there’s a little hum on some roads (but reassuring in bad weather) but steer away from low profiles- on the Marco polos !!!
(It’s not a sports car )
Thanks for the replies.

Epigram - this is exactly the type of scenario I'm trying to guard against. I have plenty of breakdown cover but we spend a certain amount of the summer in places which I would not want to have to wait for recovery from! Hence my thoughts about run flats.

Crispin - I've heard many good things about the all seasons, both those agilis and the cross climate Epigram mentions.

Are either of these available run flat? I feel that would be a higher priority for me personally than the additional grip.

Good evening, your less likely to get into grief with the agilis tyres as they are so strong. as a run flat I don’t think you can get them as I think that they are based lower profile tyre, which would NOT help the ride - higher profile is best for that.
Agilis is an expensive option but I do not regret that at all - 3 x back to back trips S France/uk with rocky roads and motorway’s/heavy trailer, storms … - this year. Brilliant. There is a u tube video on then on the Michelin site I think - or google it - I currently carry the original spec spare on 17’ rim in case it ever happened!! Good luck with your decision.

Back