Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tiny blisters on roof

T55CSC

T55CSC

VIP Member
We had the blistering issue - bought the van second hand from MB dealership. Only became apparent after about 7 months ownership. Got back in touch with Milton Keynes dealership (purchase) and visited our local Truro dealership. The report and evidence was filed and we were offered a brand new pop roof as was in the year warranty from our purchase date. If we had not bought from MB I believe the cost would have been about £4k from our pocket. MB were great and didn’t make too much fuss about agreeing it was a common fault and was covered under warranty. Don’t leave it - get it sorted if possible. The only downside was we were without the Marco for about 3 weeks. They did a fantastic job though and could never tell anything has been done from the inside. Nice new sparkly roof fitted.

The fat controller

Well, I've just dropped the van off at MB Southampton for replacement roof #1 (MY2021). Waited since Feb for the roof to come in but if they do a good job and I don't need another it will have been worth it. Wish me luck!

RWood

So we have had our 2019 MP 10 months. When we purchased it last year from MB dealer, it was just over 4 years old and no blisters were present in the roof. A cold damp winter and they have appeared though. Mainly just above the bottom edge seal but odd other one higher up and on top now. I've checked used warrany and bodywork isn't covered so I've no come back. The question is, based on people knowledge and experiencd, is it mainly a cosmetic issue or a more problematic osmosis type problem and in time a structural issue. If its just a cosmetic issue so be it. Advice/opinions much appreciated.

LadyEdiSpencer

So we have had our 2019 MP 10 months. When we purchased it last year from MB dealer, it was just over 4 years old and no blisters were present in the roof. A cold damp winter and they have appeared though. Mainly just above the bottom edge seal but odd other one higher up and on top now. I've checked used warrany and bodywork isn't covered so I've no come back. The question is, based on people knowledge and experiencd, is it mainly a cosmetic issue or a more problematic osmosis type problem and in time a structural issue. If its just a cosmetic issue so be it. Advice/opinions much appreciated.
Hi. You may want to read my posts around May 2023.
Andrew

M

Marilyn

VIP Member
We had our replaced and sprayed to match last year. & it was registered Dec 21
It was done under warranty as there is a known issue with blistering
We had to wait for the new style roof to be sent from Germany. You will note from comments that lots of people have had their rooftop repainted. We had ours replaced so that the issue wouldn’t reoccur
Hope that helps

R

Rodders

VIP Member
Hi I took mine back to MB main dealer in Poole and they agreed this is a common fault and replaced the roof under warranty. It took 3 months to get roof and this meant the car war out of warrant. Downside was the roof does not have any warranty but if anything goes wrong in the first year they said I could bring it back

BLCSO

As this is a well known problem I would go straight back to the MB dealer you bought it from and raise it with them. Fortunately for me I bought mine privately just before it was 3 years old. I noticed when I looked at it that there were blisters on the roof and asked the seller to take it to MB for them to have a look. It was agreed with no hesitation the roof would be replaced with a new one by his local MB dealer in Blackpool.

As you have bought the vehicle from MB I'd like to think that they would replace under the used car warranty??? Definitely worth a try.

As this is a well known problem I would go straight back to the MB dealer you bought it from and raise it with them. Fortunately for me I bought mine privately just before it was 3 years old. I noticed when I looked at it that there were blisters on the roof and asked the seller to take it to MB for them to have a look. It was agreed with no hesitation the roof would be replaced with a new one by his local MB dealer in Blackpool.

As you have bought the vehicle from MB I'd like to think that they would replace under the used car warranty??? Definitely worth a try.
Blackpool did mine no probs

funkyegg

Hi all, my roof was replaced last June and I wasn't expecting the blisters would come back as I heard the manufacture had fixed the issue. Given the recent cold days so I had a look at the roof yesterday as I knew from past expereince that the blisters were likely to show up after a frost, and guess what - the blisters came back again! This time more around the edge of the reserved rooflight area. I am talking with my local MB dealer again given the new roof only lasted 6 months.

Please can anyone who had a new roof fitted last year confirm how yours is holding up? It would be good to know if Westfalia did fix the problem or not.

The fat controller

Hi all, my roof was replaced last June and I wasn't expecting the blisters would come back as I heard the manufacture had fixed the issue. Given the recent cold days so I had a look at the roof yesterday as I knew from past expereince that the blisters were likely to show up after a frost, and guess what - the blisters came back again! This time more around the edge of the reserved rooflight area. I am talking with my local MB dealer again given the new roof only lasted 6 months.

Please can anyone who had a new roof fitted last year confirm how yours is holding up? It would be good to know if Westfalia did fix the problem or not.
Mine was fitted a few months ago. I'll have a look as soon as I can and let you know

Carol

Hello, I also had a new roof last June and was informed the roof microblister problem had been sorted.
However after reading funkyegg, I have just checked and sadly I also have a few microblisters, after the first frosts.

funkyegg

Hello, I also had a new roof last June and was informed the roof microblister problem had been sorted.
However after reading funkyegg, I have just checked and sadly I also have a few microblisters, after the first frosts.
Very disappointed to hear the issue is still there. I’m working with the dealership for another potential replacement given the last replacement was under 12 months but I do wonder if the roof will get ever get sorted. This is like having an annual MOT now

The fat controller

Well, I've had a look and I can't see any on mine (yet!). It was fitted in September after a long wait for stock so if the previous comments on the thread are correct there is hope that the issue may indeed be resolved. Time will tell.

funkyegg

Well, I've had a look and I can't see any on mine (yet!). It was fitted in September after a long wait for stock so if the previous comments on the thread are correct there is hope that the issue may indeed be resolved. Time will tell.
Thanks for checking - I wonder if there were a mix bag of new and old batches fitted last year. Please keep us updated but hope you will never see them coming back. We have another few freezing days so if they don't come back they probably never will.

J

Jarmany

VIP Member
Hello Everyone in the bubbly Roof Club.
Our 2019 MP V250 is currently in MB Guildford being fitted with a new roof for the second time. (We think that is was just a paint job the first time around however).
We have been assured that it is a new roof from a new supplier to MB.
This work is under warranty from MB but has taken 10 months for approval. We have been told that we will get a ‘worksheet’ confirming all that has been done for any later potential valuation/resale issues.
We wait to see how this will all pan out long term but have no intentions of selling up as we have so much fun in our camper. I.

The fat controller

One (hopefully) final comment from me on this...

Gave Marcus his bath today and I can confirm that even following a couple of cold snaps, frost and what passes for snow on the south coast, his roof is blissfully blister free.

Given all that's been said regarding new manufacturering processes and recent roof replacements, I'm optimistic that this will bring the issue to a close for myself. I can only hope that the same is true for others with recent or upcoming replacements, and that in time the whole fleet will be sorted!

Good luck all

Lizziekenn

We had our roof replaced last May and this is also now blistering following the recent frosts. I’m waiting for contact from Mercedes.

Carol

Hello , also had new roof fitted May 2023
, cold weather and blisters are back , awaiting inspection by localMB dealer