Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thoughts on spec and price

Jonesad

Hi,

Can I get thoughts on this spec and price please on a factory order which I've had from Mercedes in Lincoln.

V220D AMG LINE MARCO POLO AUTO
METALLIC PAINT
BLACK AWNING
DIESEL AUXILARY NIGHT HEATER
5TH SEAT (CODE US7)
360 CAMERA
RRP £61,300
OUR OFFER £55,292

GeorgeG

Hi,

Can I get thoughts on this spec and price please on a factory order which I've had from Mercedes in Lincoln.

V220D AMG LINE MARCO POLO AUTO
METALLIC PAINT
BLACK AWNING
DIESEL AUXILARY NIGHT HEATER
5TH SEAT (CODE US7)
360 CAMERA
RRP £61,300
OUR OFFER £55,292

Just under 10% discount doesn’t look too bad compared with what you can get on a California. But I’ve yet to shop around for prices.

Anyone got any advice on which dealers offer the best discounts on new. Or for that matter, how flexible are dealers on sticker prices on nearly new?

Graham

Do you mean factory order as in they have an order in and you are prepared to take it? The dealers seem to place 'phantom' orders to get something booked in, but there is a final cut off date before which any of the spec they have put together can be changed. Spec is very personal e.g. i don't need a 5th seat and don't want the awning, but i did want the 250D and one or two other bits and pieces as I have noted in another post.

Discount seems very good (I got 7% and was ok with that) as they can't reduce the taxes so it's all off the price of the car. As i think someone else posted a while ago, if the spec gives you everything you need and you are happy with the price, then do it. You could end up going round in ever decreasing circles and i would doubt you will save much more on a new purchase, albeit you might be able to spend less by going for a nearly new/ex demo or second hand.

Roy C

Looks like a decent spec and discount as long as you’d want everything on there. I have the 5th seat but if you don’t really need it is an extra grand or so. I got 7% as well so 10% is good going.

Ridgeway

Hi,
I obtained just under 11% discount from Marshalls Mercedes Bolton and, they gave me FOC: the paintwork and interior protective lifetime shine and 3 year alloy wheel and bodywork cosmetic insurance.
The salesman I dealt with was John Twigg and he was a pleasure to deal with. By all means call him amd say Gary from Wiltshire recommended him.
Good luck

GeorgeG

I got 20% off a pre-reg 220 ( 6 weeks since reg) with delivery mileage (and the air heater!). I would probably have ordered the 250 if I’d been buying new, but to be honest I drove both in mixed conditions - motorway, A roads and country lanes and didn’t think the difference was significant enough to worry about it. I drove the 220 after the 250 and was pleasantly surprised as I was expecting it to be sufficiently underpowered to be a deal breaker.

Bear in mind I come to this as someone who dislikes diesels (necessary evil when it comes to camper vans) and whose last car was a very rapid twin turbo petrol Subaru. My view is that it’s a camper that benefits from being driven in a relaxed mode. It will never drive and handle like a sporty saloon, however powerful the engine. I’d rather spend the money saved on the ‘camper’ options.

Israel

I got 20% off a pre-reg 220 ( 6 weeks since reg) with delivery mileage (and the air heater!). I would probably have ordered the 250 if I’d been buying new, but to be honest I drove both in mixed conditions - motorway, A roads and country lanes and didn’t think the difference was significant enough to worry about it. I drove the 220 after the 250 and was pleasantly surprised as I was expecting it to be sufficiently underpowered to be a deal breaker.

Bear in mind I come to this as someone who dislikes diesels (necessary evil when it comes to camper vans) and whose last car was a very rapid twin turbo petrol Subaru. My view is that it’s a camper that benefits from being driven in a relaxed mode. It will never drive and handle like a sporty saloon, however powerful the engine. I’d rather spend the money saved on the ‘camper’ options.
I have the 250 7g-tronic 4matic and always drive on ECO under the limit, so the 220 should also be enough for me, but it depends much the way you drive ... (ask my wife ;-) )

Skickat från min SM-A320FL via Tapatalk

GeorgeG

I have the 250 7g-tronic 4matic and always drive on ECO under the limit, so the 220 should also be enough for me, but it depends much the way you drive ... (ask my wife ;-) )

Skickat från min SM-A320FL via Tapatalk

As I said, I have the 220 - and I also drive on Eco! Maybe it’s because my current car is a RAV4 Hybrid which I also drive (or hypermile) on Eco. But that is 197hp (147kW) and 30% lighter than the MP and has the 100% torque available from the electric motors from a standing start.

vin K

Hi, my first post here, been lurking for a few days to find out more before ordering. Excellent site and thanks to all the contributors who have more knowledge than any of the sales team that I have come accross.
I have just been told that Mercedes are not placing any new Marco Polo orders (possibly due to the WLTF regulations but no official comment) and are unable to process new orders at all. They also are unable to tell me when they are likely to open the ordering process again. Anyone able to shed more light on this? Phoned two dealers and they have said the same.
Not sure whether to wait or to go to the VW conversion route? We had our hearts set on an MP but not sure about waiting an undefined amount of time..... could be days,weeks or months?Also hard to find a used one with the extra seat, which is essential for us.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Hi. Considered the vw ourselves but went the Mercedes route and v pleased with it. Had discounted the conversion side as when all added up we felt th difference in price wasn’t that vast and the quality of the factory finish and warranty / peace of mind seemed +Mercure spec seemed to be the thing to go for.

We went for the 220 and found it to be more than adequate for hauling us about.

Have you taken a look at the vans in the for sale section ? two good options there - one with 5th seat and one would need the 5th seat buying. Save the wait list and get you going this summer?

Cheers.

vin K

Thanks, yes looked at them and they are well spec'd. Agree with both of you on the conversion route and warranties. You have also answered question of whether the 220D is powerful enough. Thanks

Hi...I pick up my new MP tomorrow, after fairly protracted negotiations where I was given a 12% discount. The highest I was offered locally was 6% on a new build which came with a pretty long lead time. The vehicle I went for in the end was from stock rather than made to order, which may well have made a difference, but had every thing on my wish list apart from 360 camera, and the seats are black as opposed to beige. Though at the time I was offered quite a range of vehicles which were due for delivery to the UK for the first week in March.
What I found interesting from my experience in looking at both the VW Cali and the MP was how inaccurate many of the on line reviews are when they say the MP is the more expensive option of the two. Having looked at both, and being a former owner of two much loved VW vans, I would say the idea that the MP is the more expensive option can be false. The difference in price between what I was quoted for a new Cali and what I actually paid for my new MP was 8K! In my opinion the quality on the MP is way superior to that of the Cali. Spec wise there was little difference between the Cali I looked at and the MP I bought, plus as a random freaky bonus the MP has come with personalised number plates!
The only downside, and it’s only minor, I have to travel down to London to pick it up. I think the moral of the story is call as many dealers as you can be bothered with to strike the best deal.

GeorgeG

Hi...I pick up my new MP tomorrow, after fairly protracted negotiations where I was given a 12% discount. The highest I was offered locally was 6% on a new build which came with a pretty long lead time. The vehicle I went for in the end was from stock rather than made to order, which may well have made a difference, but had every thing on my wish list apart from 360 camera, and the seats are black as opposed to beige. Though at the time I was offered quite a range of vehicles which were due for delivery to the UK for the first week in March.
What I found interesting from my experience in looking at both the VW Cali and the MP was how inaccurate many of the on line reviews are when they say the MP is the more expensive option of the two. Having looked at both, and being a former owner of two much loved VW vans, I would say the idea that the MP is the more expensive option can be false. The difference in price between what I was quoted for a new Cali and what I actually paid for my new MP was 8K! In my opinion the quality on the MP is way superior to that of the Cali. Spec wise there was little difference between the Cali I looked at and the MP I bought, plus as a random freaky bonus the MP has come with personalised number plates!
The only downside, and it’s only minor, I have to travel down to London to pick it up. I think the moral of the story is call as many dealers as you can be bothered with to strike the best deal.

Like you Eric, as a former California owner I considered both the VW and Mercedes offerings. I also concluded that the MP is superior in most respects (apart from only having a single leisure battery) and, taking into account discounts and deals available, is also cheaper than the Cali. I find my V220 significantly more economical than me last California - possibly by as much as 8 to 10 mpg.

I’m more than happy that I got 20% off a 6 week old pre-reg model with 75 miles on the clock and the Eberspacher space heater.

Like you Eric, as a former California owner I considered both the VW and Mercedes offerings. I also concluded that the MP is superior in most respects (apart from only having a single leisure battery) and, taking into account discounts and deals available, is also cheaper than the Cali. I find my V220 significantly more economical than me last California - possibly by as much as 8 to 10 mpg.

I’m more than happy that I got 20% off a 6 week old pre-reg model with 75 miles on the clock and the Eberspacher space heater.

I too went for the 22o option as Id heard that power and performance wise its more than adequate. The bulk of my usage will be in Scotland on single track roads in the back of beyond where performance is not really an issue, I'm mainly into comfort! I almost bought a pre-owned one 1-year-old very high spec van but felt the dealer was asking just a bit too much given it was a 2017 reg with 8K on the clock, they did reduce the price by a couple of K, but I still felt it was too much given the price of the new van alternative. I'm wondering if dealers have a bit more flexibility this year on price than they had last year?....which will impact on those wishing to trade in for a new vehicle.

Ridgeway

In my experience Eric you'll be more than happy with the 220 engine. Part of its appeal when we're going somewhere (relaxed) is it being a vehicle I want to drive 'sedately' rather than throw it round bends and have everything in the draws and cupboards rattle! From memory I got in excess 18% off at Marshalls Mercedes in Bolton and it certainly paid for my train ticket from Wiltshire to Bolton to pick it up.
I've recently purchased a new car and found it depends greatly on where a dealer is against their volume sales budgets etc as to how much / how keen they are to give a hefty discount or not. Its a case of ringing round and also having the good fortune of finding a sales person who is genuinely interested - as odd as that might sound when you're trying to spend £54-63k! I dealt with a chap called Jonathan Twigg in Bolton and he was first class.
Enjoy your MP!