Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Easy Up pop up roof: Double help needed, thank you

Paul Rutley

It says in the supplement page 19 ‘never exceed 50kg on a roof rack’ suggesting the motor will cope with that weight. then immediately below that it goes on to say ‘before closing always fold down the bed frame, straighten mattress otherwise the bellows could be damaged’. That also suggests you do it manually. I pause the operation and with assistance make sure the mattress is central.

On page 38 it says to get headroom ‘swing the roof bed upwards…’ again suggests manually.

I do not have a roof rack

My worry and question/s is this – I’ve been lifting and lowering the bed frame with the pop up roof motor. What do you do or do you do the same? I asked the MB salesman who said ‘use the roof motor’.

My second help is how to lower the roof if the motor fails. On page 21 the manual seems to illustrate using the same lever as it instructs you to use to shut off the waste water – see page 59.

I’m packed and ready to go first thing Monday. The last thing I need right now is to empty the cupboard. I made sure the lever was in the right place to hold the waste water in before I filled it. Any comments on that as well?
Many thanks

mptripsaway

It says in the supplement page 19 ‘never exceed 50kg on a roof rack’ suggesting the motor will cope with that weight. then immediately below that it goes on to say ‘before closing always fold down the bed frame, straighten mattress otherwise the bellows could be damaged’. That also suggests you do it manually. I pause the operation and with assistance make sure the mattress is central.

On page 38 it says to get headroom ‘swing the roof bed upwards…’ again suggests manually.

I do not have a roof rack

My worry and question/s is this – I’ve been lifting and lowering the bed frame with the pop up roof motor. What do you do or do you do the same? I asked the MB salesman who said ‘use the roof motor’.

My second help is how to lower the roof if the motor fails. On page 21 the manual seems to illustrate using the same lever as it instructs you to use to shut off the waste water – see page 59.

I’m packed and ready to go first thing Monday. The last thing I need right now is to empty the cupboard. I made sure the lever was in the right place to hold the waste water in before I filled it. Any comments on that as well?
Many thanks

Hi Paul,
The bed should be in the down position before lowering the roof as it is important that the mattress is central and pulled forward on the bedframe, doing this helps to ensure that the bellows do not get caught in the mechanism, when the roof stops at the check point on closing I just pull the sides of the bellows in slightly from inside and tidy up the folds at the front.

I have copied the following from digital operating manual:

If the electrics of the electric pop-up roof malfunction you can no longer close the pop-up roof normally. However, the pop-up roof can still be closed by emergency operation. The button for activating the emergency operation is in the cupboard under the gas cooker behind the sidewall on the left-hand side.

The buttons on the central control panel perform the following functions:
( OPEN ) button: lowers the pop-up roof on the right side.
( CLOSE ) button: lowers the pop-up roof on the left side.
Open a window or door.
Remove all objects from the bed frame.
Fold down the bed frame.
Engage the reading lamps in the brackets.
Close the window zipper in the pop-up roof.
Turn the key to position 2 in the ignition lock.
Call up the "pop-up roof" menu using the control knob on the central control panel.
Open the cabinet under the gas cooker.
Press the button for activating the emergency operation for three seconds.
A tone sounds.
You must then start the closing procedure within 15 seconds using the buttons in the central control panel.
Press the open and close buttons alternately so that the pop-up roof is gradually lowered on each side by a maximum of 10 cm.
Always push the button twice. After pressing the button for the first time, the display shows a message asking you to open a window or a door.
Continue the procedure until the pop-up roof is fully closed.

A little complicated I know but you are not likely to need to use it but if you do, it does work, I tried it out myself.

Hope this helps...Enjoy your trip

The button is in the same place as the waste water emptying lever, if you feel in behind the left side of the panel there it is just a small push button.

Last edited:

Paul Rutley

Thanks for the time you've put into your answer Braysaway. I take your point about smoothing down the bellows and pulling the bed forward. I reckon I knew it would have to be that way but a problem shared ... It's a bit of a nightmare for me as my shoulders are shot and my legs don't work so pressing the up/down buttons and reaching up is literally a pain. I shall see what I can do; maybe find a compromise. At least I have a companion on the return trip so help is at hand. Happy Marco Poloing.
Paul

mptripsaway

Thanks for the time you've put into your answer Braysaway. I take your point about smoothing down the bellows and pulling the bed forward. I reckon I knew it would have to be that way but a problem shared ... It's a bit of a nightmare for me as my shoulders are shot and my legs don't work so pressing the up/down buttons and reaching up is literally a pain. I shall see what I can do; maybe find a compromise. At least I have a companion on the return trip so help is at hand. Happy Marco Poloing.
Paul

You are welcome Paul. From what you say I assume that you don't sleep up top? If that is the case I would think leaving the bed hooked up when raising or lowering would not be a problem in terms of the electric motors but you would just need to be extremely vigilant when lowering the roof.
Good luck with it.
Dennis

Znakecharm

I like all the comments on how the mattress must be centered and pulled forwards.
Maybe this is because my own Marco Polo from 2006 has a ZIPPER in the front end of the mattress. This zipper will fix the mattress in place and thus make sure that your mattress is always placed correctly.
Am I the only one having this zipper? - it was present in all the various second-hand MPs I checked out before I bought my own.

Even though I have a manual roof, I have no problem lowering the roof with the bed frame in place, but ONLY with the mattress up there - not any loose bed linen.

As for load on top - my user manual states that max load on the roof is 50 kg - and this goes as well when open with the automatic roof. With the manual roof (like mine) there is a max in open condition of 15 kg. This mean that the electric roof is strong enough to lift the load, but the gas springs on the manual roof simply won't lift a fully loaded roof. Unfortunately this means that I have to take down my canoe from the roof if I want to pop the roof ;-)

Enjoy your MP - I certainly do :)
Jørgen