Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spare wheel anti theft devices

I believe that the MP comes which a cable winch spare wheel mechanism which makes it easy for thieves to take the wheel and tyre. Is there an anti theft device available to buy for it?

Method7

You cannot access the winch mechanism from outside the vehicle, I guess with the correct tools this mechanism could be compromised but so could any additional security you might choose to add...

WILLH

Is a steel space saver(which all MP’s have)really likely to be stolen?Id have thought wheel thieves would be more attracted to expensive alloy wheels.

Sorry I have no idea what type of spare my MP will come with as my 4x4 comes with a full size alloy underslung is the same way and and can easily be stolen by having the cable cut. Also the Marco Polo chat group on facebook have been complaining about spares being stolen as an ongoing problem so just thought I would ask!

So how have you secured the spare on your 4x4
You can buy a kit for the Kia Sorento that covers the cable so that simple wire cutters cannot be used. It could probably still be taken with the right tools but would take much longer than the 30s you could do it in before!

thespoddy

Hi all, we had our spare stolen and having replaced the mechanism I bought one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes...909213?hash=item4b771c959d:g:k5gAAOSwf1Regy8y

Self fit in about 10 minutes I’d have the right sockets and it’s brilliant! Has a steel plate that bolts to body and covers cable where it was cut. Can’t recommend enough.
Hi, So does it cover the winding assembly or the thing that actually supports the centre of the wheel? I have attached a photo of each part to explain what I mean!

Attachments

• IMG_9197.jpeg
    IMG_9197.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9196.jpeg
    IMG_9196.jpeg
    959 KB · Views: 46

thespoddy

You cannot access the winch mechanism from outside the vehicle, I guess with the correct tools this mechanism could be compromised but so could any additional security you might choose to add...
You certainly can! Look at my photos in the post below. The winch mechanism is just underneath the rear of the vehicle. The cable is very accessible.

ding33

It covers the wire which supports the wheel where it emerges from winding assembly, which is where it is cut to steal wheel. Picture attached.

Attachments

• 9728B274-4B5C-44F8-8507-8A2E89C4B214.jpeg
    9728B274-4B5C-44F8-8507-8A2E89C4B214.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 65

ding33

And also covers the centre assembly to prevent cable being cut there

Attachments

• 84198395-34E9-4169-8786-54E33948965A.jpeg
    84198395-34E9-4169-8786-54E33948965A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 36

ding33

Don’t know why they don’t show the other part of the kit (that covers the cable) in their advert as that’s the bit that needs protecting!

SteveR

Sweet! Just to clarify, that's the 69.99 one from Protectavan ? Can't understand why they don't show it on the pic !
I also fitted the £69.99 one from Protectavan. Great service from them too; ordered in the afternoon and arrived 9am the next day

thespoddy

Sweet! Just to clarify, that's the 69.99 one from Protectavan ? Can't understand why they don't show it on the pic !
Yes that’s the one. They don’t even mention the other part on the ad. They provide good instructions though and even include a shearbolt to stop someone unbolting it.