Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

sleeping bags

bretth

Hi - we would rather have sleeping bags for the 4 of us in our new MP, just as it's easier. But I'm a bit confused with the choices. We will be camping in the UK in autumn/spring/summer - NOT winter (eg Nov-Feb) so need an appropriate sleeping bag weight, not too warm/not too cold. No heater in the van, so how insulated are the vans? Any experience of the same?

Roy C

We used 3-season sleeping bags when we camped in March and the temp dropped to single figures overnight. I don't feel the cold as much as the rest of my family so I'm generally too hot. My wife, downstairs with me was fine but it's definitely colder if you're in the roof bed rather than downstairs and my daughter who slept there said it was a bordering on chilly but she does feel the cold. An insulating roof topper should help with temperature if sleeping up top and a mattress topper on the bottom bed / seats will also provide more insulation than directly laying on the leather seats.

I think what I'm saying is there are a few more variables than just the sleeping bag rating.

bretth

We used 3-season sleeping bags when we camped in March and the temp dropped to single figures overnight. I don't feel the cold as much as the rest of my family so I'm generally too hot. My wife, downstairs with me was fine but it's definitely colder if you're in the roof bed rather than downstairs and my daughter who slept there said it was a bordering on chilly but she does feel the cold. An insulating roof topper should help with temperature if sleeping up top and a mattress topper on the bottom bed / seats will also provide more insulation than directly laying on the leather seats.

I think what I'm saying is there are a few more variables than just the sleeping bag rating.

That’s really useful Roy - many thanks.

bretth

hi

We too looked at a lot of options and settled on Duvalay - they work a treat :)

Thanks for that - there’s 4 of us, so at £400 that’s .... ooouch. !! Did you get the narrower ones? 56cm I think , and do 2 fit together downstairs (isn’t the bed downstairs less than a metre width, anyone know?)

jbean2567

Thanks for that - there’s 4 of us, so at £400 that’s .... ooouch. !! Did you get the narrower ones? 56cm I think , and do 2 fit together downstairs (isn’t the bed downstairs less than a metre width, anyone know?)

I will be honest I didn't realise there was more than one size we just went for the ones on Go Outdoors as they were on offer and as there is only the two of us using it, we tend to use both sleep up and down because we can ....I haven't got access to go measure at the moment but if no one has replied, I will check it and get back to you :)

bretth

I will be honest I didn't realise there was more than one size we just went for the ones on Go Outdoors as they were on offer and as there is only the two of us using it, we tend to use both sleep up and down because we can ....I haven't got access to go measure at the moment but if no one has replied, I will check it and get back to you :)

Thanks - don't worry - the bed (2 seats) is around 102cm wide downstairs.... but just wondered how you found them downstairs. Go Outdoors only seem to sell the larger (66cm) ones so do you fold them over at the side when sleeping below, not a problem with the duvet but thinking of the memory foam base of the Duvalay?

jbean2567

We also have the accessory pad that goes on the flat seats downstairs then we just have one duvalay on there at a time , if you are asking about them both side by side, haven't tried it as we have only had one trip out with them this year - the next will be when we have our first MP meet
My best guess is that if you did, you would keep them flat in the middle butted up for comfort with any "excess" foam at the outside - they are fairly pliable, very comfortable and cosy with the luxury of throwing it off like a regular quilt if you get too warm