Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sink tap not working

Roy C

So, I picked up my Marco Polo today from the dealer. All is good apart from no water from the sink tap.

I have seen a post elsewhere saying the water pump fuse needed to be fitted but it is in the fuse box and appears to be fine. I've even swapped it for one of the other fuses and still no water from the tap. I've filled the fresh water tank about half full so there's definitely water in the tank.

Am I missing something obvious or is there a problem with my water pump? Any ideas?

mptripsaway

So, I picked up my Marco Polo today from the dealer. All is good apart from no water from the sink tap.

I have seen a post elsewhere saying the water pump fuse needed to be fitted but it is in the fuse box and appears to be fine. I've even swapped it for one of the other fuses and still no water from the tap. I've filled the fresh water tank about half full so there's definitely water in the tank.

Am I missing something obvious or is there a problem with my water pump? Any ideas?

Apologies if I'm being extremely basic. Are you operating the tap head out to the side? Can you hear the pump running?

Van looks beautiful by the way, congratulations. :)

Roy C

Apologies if I'm being extremely basic. Are you operating the tap head out to the side? Can you hear the pump running?

Van looks beautiful by the way, congratulations. :)
Thanks.

Yes, I’m moving it to the side rather than up or down (although that fooled me at first) but no sound of a pump operating. Also tried the shower point at the back and no joy there either.

mptripsaway

Thanks.

Yes, I’m moving it to the side rather than up or down (although that fooled me at first) but no sound of a pump operating. Also tried the shower point at the back and no joy there either.

Hmm! Shower was going to be my next suggestion. Is everything else working okay, lesiure battery voltage etc? I think I read somewhere about a loose electrical connection at the tap switch below the sink but that may have been on the Cali forum.
I hope it proves to be something simple.

Roy C

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, the leisure battery voltage is fine. Roof lowers and raises and the hob burners work fine. Not tried the fridge or the auxilliary air heater - just haven’t had time yet - but wouldn’t have thought they were associated with the water pump. I’ve tried operating with the key out, key inserted and also turned to position one in case that had something to do with it. Tried swapping the water pump fuse with the roof fuse (since I know that fuse is good) so all out of ideas now.

I’ll phone the dealer tomorrow but since I knew more about the MP than them (on the sales side at least) I might have to take it back and get the service deptartment to look at it. In the meantime if anyone has any suggestions then please let me know. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that I’m missing something simple

Martin

Hi Roy

Congrats on picking up the MP!

I would have said the fuse too. Ours wouldn't work until I discovered the fuse sitting in the plastic bag of manuals etc that came with the van. It is deliberately not installed until you pick up the van to avoid burning out the pump, but sounds like it has been installed in your case.

(I drained my water/waste tanks before winter and took out the fuse just in case as the van is left outside and temps have been regularly down to -5 and below here; I will check again soon and see if I get anything similar to your issue on refilling/re-fusing and report back).

I hope you manage to sort it out soon. I'm sure a call to the dealers will fix it one way or another and you'll be up and running.

Martin

Roy C

Hi Roy

Congrats on picking up the MP!

I would have said the fuse too. Ours wouldn't work until I discovered the fuse sitting in the plastic bag of manuals etc that came with the van. It is deliberately not installed until you pick up the van to avoid burning out the pump, but sounds like it has been installed in your case.

(I drained my water/waste tanks before winter and took out the fuse just in case as the van is left outside and temps have been regularly down to -5 and below here; I will check again soon and see if I get anything similar to your issue on refilling/re-fusing and report back).

I hope you manage to sort it out soon. I'm sure a call to the dealers will fix it one way or another and you'll be up and running.

Martin
Thanks Martin. I remembered your post so was fully expecting to have to install the fuse but it was already there. Possibly the tap has been opened with the water tank empty somewhere along the line before I got it and burnt out the pump. Anyway, I’m sure it’ll get fixed but a tad annoying. Still, I love the van and I’m very pleased with everything else.

Last edited:

Roy C

sounds like it could be the waterpump dry . does the tap click when you switch it on?
No click that I can hear. I have now tried sucking water through the tap to see if it is the pump impeller that is stuck and drawing water through would free it but no luck with that either. I could try to get access to the pump but I think I'll just get the dealer to sort it.

Katie

Way be completely irrelevant but with our caravan sometimes got an airlock in the pump
You had to wiggle it up and down in the water to dispel the air and then it worked
Have you got enough water in to cover the pump - wherever that may be?
Good luck
Our van has been delayed - still at the docks - but I expect I'll have a lot of questions when she arrives

Roy C

Way be completely irrelevant but with our caravan sometimes got an airlock in the pump
You had to wiggle it up and down in the water to dispel the air and then it worked
Have you got enough water in to cover the pump - wherever that may be?
Good luck
Our van has been delayed - still at the docks - but I expect I'll have a lot of questions when she arrives
I filled the water tank half-full, so that should be sufficient. I am taking the van into the dealer tomorrow so I'll let them do any wiggling required!

Katie

Probably the best option, seeing its so new.
Just as a matter of interest, did you check things like the raising roof and reclining rear seats before you took the van home?
I know it would be hard to check water and gas and I suspect this is also not covered in the pdi. I am loathe to part with a large wad of money without checking what I can on the camper side of things, as I know the dealer is even more ignorant than me!

Roy C

Probably the best option, seeing its so new.
Just as a matter of interest, did you check things like the raising roof and reclining rear seats before you took the van home?
I know it would be hard to check water and gas and I suspect this is also not covered in the pdi. I am loathe to part with a large wad of money without checking what I can on the camper side of things, as I know the dealer is even more ignorant than me!
Hi Katie,

I located all the bits that I was expecting to come with the van but didn't check any of the operations until I got the van home. It turns out it takes quite a while to check everything out but when I got home I checked the roof, I checked the hob (after stopping off to get a canister) and the sink tap. I've just had the coolbox on today to test that (seems to be working because it was making a faint buzz after I turned it on) and I still need to check the auxiliary air heater.

davidk

If it’s like the old MP there is a float on the pump. You can stick your hand into the water tank and make sure it is at the top. Ours once got stuck at the bottom so the pump then thinks the tank is empty.

Katie

Hi Katie,

I located all the bits that I was expecting to come with the van but didn't check any of the operations until I got the van home. It turns out it takes quite a while to check everything out but when I got home I checked the roof, I checked the hob (after stopping off to get a canister) and the sink tap. I've just had the coolbox on today to test that (seems to be working because it was making a faint buzz after I turned it on) and I still need to check the auxiliary air heater.

Thanks Roy
I guess you're right - I suppose Id better concentrate on how to drive the van, so I can get home on my own. The dealer has set aside 2 hours for handover, but taking into account all the paperwork and payment that time will soon go. I think I'll check the roof and the seats, as well as the normal stuff and leave it at that. Ive never had a rear camera before so will probably ask to be shown this in practice and will also go through my list of things that should come with my van.

Roy C

Thanks Roy
I guess you're right - I suppose Id better concentrate on how to drive the van, so I can get home on my own. The dealer has set aside 2 hours for handover, but taking into account all the paperwork and payment that time will soon go. I think I'll check the roof and the seats, as well as the normal stuff and leave it at that. Ive never had a rear camera before so will probably ask to be shown this in practice and will also go through my list of things that should come with my van.
It took me a while to find everything - the awning handle was in the drawer under the rear seats, for example. I was at the dealers for about 90 minutes. You can't check the tap because you need to put water in the tank and you can't check the hob because you need a gas cylinder. The only other thing is to make sure the leisure battery has enough charge before you put the roof up and down.

Roy C

So the dealer says there is power going to the water pump but the pump isn't working so they've ordered a new one. It takes about 5 days to arrive from Germany and then I'll need to book it in for a day, possibly two, to have the pump replaced.

I bought the car from MB Sheffield but that's over an hour's drive from where I live so instead I took it to MB Harrogate, which is a lot closer for me, and they are doing the repairs. If it's in for two days they'll give me a courtesy car. So apart from the disappointment of a faulty pump on a car that's brand new the MB network is at least looking after me.

Roy C

Replacement water pump arrived at the dealers on Monday and booked in next Monday to see if that fixes the issue.

Roy C

Took the car in to have the new pump fitted and it turns out they ordered the wrong type of pump. My van is now staying with them for a couple of days as they wait for the correct pump to arrive from Germany so they can fit it ahead of me picking it up on Friday ready for my Easter weekend trip away, assuming it doesn’t snow!