Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Propane / LPG

Jamboree

I'm planning a LONG tour around Europe.
I am a NEW MP owner - and truth be told - am new to RV/campervaning.

I'm very new to propane tanks - specifically what do I do when I run out.
I'm researching it now, but my questions are:::

* Should I buy a 2nd (backup) propane tank
* Do I just buy the lpg at the gas stations?
* Do I need an adapter to fill the propane tank?

As you can see I'm very new to this and my research continues to create more questions -- like this:::
* Does all of europe have the same opportunities (places to get propane, way's to fill my propane tank....)
* I've purchased my MP in Switzerland, seeing as Switzerland is not part of the EU - did Switzerland make a "special" connector for whatever part I'm looking for.

Thank you for understanding that I'm a new owner and, to be honest, a confused (but excited) one.

Jamboree

A better question is.... About how long will one of these tanks last for.

For 1 person, 1 meal a day (normal meal), can I assume the tank will last 1week, 1month, 2months, 1year....
I KNOW IT ALL DEPENDS - but what can I assume would be an approximate amount of time.

Hi. Only been using ours for a couple of years so not in best position to give you definitive answer on how long it lasts. Sure others will follow with answer on that thou

We bought camping gaz bottle + the gas from local bbq shop - Same principle as your bbq bottle re refilling, ie trade in for new bottle and gas.

Do a search on the forum for the bottle type or your shop should be able to advise you. Fitting should be universal, but that’s an assumption.

Camping gaz States availability across Europe here:

Check the cost of buying a second hand bottle
And taking that to the shop to swap for new one plus gas rather than buying new from the shop. Could save a few £. eBay, Halfords or even local recycling.

Can’t give a figure on how many meals as how we use ours varies on the type of trip we do and how much cooking we want to do v bbq v local food availability. We bought a spare as didn’t see the point of waiting for gas to run out mid meal and being stuck / wasting food or basically wasting whatever gas was left when going for refill ahead of a trip.

Also worth checking out the ridgemonkey pan on the forum shop - helps reduce the cooking smells and smoke in your nice new van!

HTH?

Enjoy your trip and do posts pics up!

Jamboree

Thanks for the map of locations to purchase the gas.... The map identifies my exact worry --- my trip is 75% in the areas that the tank is NOT sold. Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Denmark.

However I was recently told (by a VW dealer) that the gas tank should last approx. 2months of normal 1meal, 1person. I'm hoping they are close to being accurate as my initial trip is planned to be 4+weeks long.

SteveR

Thanks for the map of locations to purchase the gas.... The map identifies my exact worry --- my trip is 75% in the areas that the tank is NOT sold. Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Denmark.

However I was recently told (by a VW dealer) that the gas tank should last approx. 2months of normal 1meal, 1person. I'm hoping they are close to being accurate as my initial trip is planned to be 4+weeks long.
Personally, if it were me; if I was planning on going for over 4 weeks, I'd take a spare with me.

JamesWu

We have been using a bottle of camping gaz for about 30 days, 1-2 meals a day + tea, last time I checked it was still heavy, I reckon more than half left.
To replace a bottle costs £35 here, and €20 in Spain / Portugal, I think it is easier to find in main land Europe than in the UK, so I'd say no need to carry spare bottle.

WILLH

There is a smaller bottle that fits the connector and stores easily in the van if the main bottle runs out of gas whilst preparing food/boiling kettle etc.

Huff1

We have been using a bottle of camping gaz for about 30 days, 1-2 meals a day + tea, last time I checked it was still heavy, I reckon more than half left.
To replace a bottle costs £35 here, and €20 in Spain / Portugal, I think it is easier to find in main land Europe than in the UK, so I'd say no need to carry spare bottle.
Hey there. New owner here. Thanks in advance for help. Any idea in the Uk if Calor gas bottles work on the Marco Polo?.

GeorgeG

I buy my refills at Go Outdoors who seem to be the only supplier who discount Camping Gaz, and that's before they apply the 10% discount if you have a loyalty card. I always carry a spare which came in handy on a six week tour of France and Spain last year. It saves the hassle of hunting for one in unfamiliar circumstances.

Huff1

Thank you. I’ll go there. What exact gas canister are you getting. The 907 camping gaz. 2.7 kg one?.

BabaJen

Cali owner, not MP, but it all depends how often you intend to use your cooker. My bottles tend to last me around a year but when the weather is like it's been I don't cook inside. A eurohike roll-up table and a £7.50 small briefcase size CG bistro camping stove does me most of the time.

Again if on electric hook-up I have a remoska and an electric kettle so half the time even in bad weather I hardly ever use the gas.

My main use is when off grid, permissive or wild camping, but even then I would anticipate easily getting a couple of months use out of it.

If really worried then carry a spare bottle but it's more weight, more space and more cash :)

Oh, and if using a 907 CG bottle then that is butane, not propane, the big difference being the freezing points. Having said that I've done a lot of winter camping in icy weather and never had a problem with the bottle freezing, providing that you are aware it can freeze and ensure you allow interior warm air to circulate towards the bottle compartment.