Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

new Car smell

Van Diesel

Hey

The new car smell. i went to look at a new van...250d and it smells awfull inside.
Really heavy chemical smell, its brand new so it might wear off fast.

I vented the car 5 mins and left it for 15 mins ...then all the smell was back.
So its evaporating quickly i guess.

Any tips on ventilation of a new car experience you want to share?
Is it even safe to sleep in the first few months?

i mean how long will it take to vent this thing out. :)
will it take months?

My plan would be to bake it with 30c for a few days, leaving the top bed window slightly open maybe.

thx in advance.

StevieG

We didn’t have any problems - 300d bought Aug20; new car smell in dealership and first few drives but nothing that lingered after a few day trips, open doors / roof, aircon etc

gvh

I guess people's sensitivity to these things vary.

We recently got our Horizon and whilst it has a new car smell, there's nothing particularly bothersome. My wife is generally more sensitive to these things and I haven't heard her complain.

Do you have the full MP with kitchen? Maybe something from there?

Also I have a question... asked in another thread...do you have a USB connection in the top bed area? We have just a blank plastic grommet where I was expecting it to be (center of the roofbed frame above the windscreen in the middle). I'm a bit disappointed by this as I'm pretty sure it was mentioned on some materials when we first ordered it about a year ago, and I know it is a thing and does exist!

gvh

So I reckon they've "silently" dropped this within the last year unless it never was on the Horizon, but like I say I'm sure it was mentioned somewhere and certainly there was no option to select additional USBs to my knowledge.

@Van Diesel does your new Horizon have this?

Method7

MY 18 plate Horizon doesn’t have a USB in the roof. Maybe you could get the part from MB and fit it? I bet it takes power from the overhead console in the driving compartment.

gvh

Thanks for the info.

So maybe it's a Horizon thing. I'll check it out with the dealer and see what we can arrange. Agree it shouldn't be too hard to fit assuming I can get easy access into the overhead bit.

1508ian

I guess people's sensitivity to these things vary.

We recently got our Horizon and whilst it has a new car smell, there's nothing particularly bothersome. My wife is generally more sensitive to these things and I haven't heard her complain.

Do you have the full MP with kitchen? Maybe something from there?

Also I have a question... asked in another thread...do you have a USB connection in the top bed area? We have just a blank plastic grommet where I was expecting it to be (center of the roofbed frame above the windscreen in the middle). I'm a bit disappointed by this as I'm pretty sure it was mentioned on some materials when we first ordered it about a year ago, and I know it is a thing and does exist!
Hey

The new car smell. i went to look at a new van...250d and it smells awfull inside.
Really heavy chemical smell, its brand new so it might wear off fast.

I vented the car 5 mins and left it for 15 mins ...then all the smell was back.
So its evaporating quickly i guess.

Any tips on ventilation of a new car experience you want to share?
Is it even safe to sleep in the first few months?

i mean how long will it take to vent this thing out. :)
will it take months?

My plan would be to bake it with 30c for a few days, leaving the top bed window slightly open maybe.

thx in advance.
You might want to check if the smell is coming from the mattress in the roof. We found last summer that although ours is a 19 plate vehicle it was still producing a chemical smell in warmer weather so we took it out and aired it for a couple of weeks.