Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

JCT600 Harrogate

Roy C

Had a good look around a MP and then a test drive with JCT600 Harrogate. Attentive and knowledgeable service so far from Richard there. Will keep people posted as I go through the buying process.

Roy C

Not had the discount discussion with the dealer yet but via Carwow the best discount I was offered was 9.1% from MB Cardiff. Was going to play that card when I go back to place my order in October. Check out my post in the new member section for my spec.

Wilnx005

Administrator
Staff member
It's good to get several quotes from dealers - they seem to offer different levels of discounts sometimes - I wonder if drive the deal does any offers on the MP, worth looking I guess?

Dundry

Carwow is worth a try, discounts between 2% and 9.3%, my local dealer offered 4% but they don't seem interested in selling the MP, didn't really know how it all worked and on first enquiry said that a staff member had borrowed the MP for the weekend so it wasnt available to view! Not sure what others think but 9.3% seems a reasonable discount to me, I cant see much bigger discounts being given soon and if not ordered this side of Christmas I expect delivery dates may not be until next summer. All conjecture of course so will stand corrected!

mptripsaway

Carwow is worth a try, discounts between 2% and 9.3%, my local dealer offered 4% but they don't seem interested in selling the MP, didn't really know how it all worked and on first enquiry said that a staff member had borrowed the MP for the weekend so it wasnt available to view! Not sure what others think but 9.3% seems a reasonable discount to me, I cant see much bigger discounts being given soon and if not ordered this side of Christmas I expect delivery dates may not be until next summer. All conjecture of course so will stand corrected!
Well, if you are being offered (a real) 9% discount on OTR published list prices direct from dealer (not a broker) built to your specification and delivered direct from factory (not dealer stock) then I would snatch their hand off because Christmas has come early.
There is also 'what type of buyer you are' will have an effect on discount offered, cash versus pcp or financed purchase. If a dealer is making money by providing purchase finance or pcp they can afford to offer a little more discount.

Last edited:

Wilnx005

Administrator
Staff member
"There is also 'what type of buyer you are' will have an effect on discount offered, cash versus pcp or financed purchase. If a dealer is making money by providing purchase finance or pcp they can afford to offer a little more discount."

Good Point!

Roy C

Of course you can always take out PCP agreement to get the better deal and then pay it off early if you have the cash / your own finance. You can do this at any time so interest is minimal if you settle it within days and the cost is likely to be much less than the benefit of free servicing or extra dealer contribution etc. from taking the dealer PCP.

mptripsaway

Of course you can always take out PCP agreement to get the better deal and then pay it off early if you have the cash / your own finance. You can do this at any time so interest is minimal if you settle it within days and the cost is likely to be much less than the benefit of free servicing or extra dealer contribution etc. from taking the dealer PCP.
I guess it's all swings and roundabouts, check out the article in the link which shows depreciation over a 3 year pcp is not a smooth line, it is front loaded so in order to end pcp early would mean having to accept the cost of depreciation at the point of ending the agreement and if that is in year 1 that would be the largest amount of depreciation. Could be expensive!
http://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/settle-a-pcp-early-2/

mptripsaway

I guess it's all swings and roundabouts, check out the article in the link which shows depreciation over a 3 year pcp is not a smooth line, it is front loaded so in order to end pcp early would mean having to accept the cost of depreciation at the point of ending the agreement and if that is in year 1 that would be the largest amount of depreciation. Could be expensive!
http://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/settle-a-pcp-early-2/
Would it be possible to sign up for pcp to get the deposit contribution from your dealer giving you a better overall discount and then cancel the agreement within 14days and pay the finance company in full having incurred zero charges?

Roy C

Would it be possible to sign up for pcp to get the deposit contribution from your dealer giving you a better overall discount and then cancel the agreement within 14days and pay the finance company in full having incurred zero charges?
Yes, that's exactly what I was suggesting. Depreciation doesn't come into it because you're just settling the loan and after 14 days the interest is minimal. The only time depreciation comes into it is if you return the car and cancel the agreement.

Roy C

Yes, that's exactly what I was suggesting. Depreciation doesn't come into it because you're just settling the loan and after 14 days the interest is minimal. The only time depreciation comes into it is if you return the car and cancel the agreement.
Also I believe you don't even have to wait 14 days. 14 days is the cooling off period where you can just cancel but I believe you can settle the loan after 1 or 2 days. Just phone the finance company ask for a settlement figure (which has a small amount of interest accrued after a couple of days) pay it off and keep the car. You've then effectively paid pretty much the same as cash but you've got your free servicing and/or dealer contribution.

mptripsaway

Also I believe you don't even have to wait 14 days. 14 days is the cooling off period where you can just cancel but I believe you can settle the loan after 1 or 2 days. Just phone the finance company ask for a settlement figure (which has a small amount of interest accrued after a couple of days) pay it off and keep the car. You've then effectively paid pretty much the same as cash but you've got your free servicing and/or dealer contribution.
Sounds like you have a cunning plan there Roy! You'll have to let us know how you get on when you place your order in October. Hope the salesman still gets his/her commission

Roy C

Sounds like you have a cunning plan there Roy! You'll have to let us know how you get on when you place your order in October. Hope the salesman still gets his/her commission
From what I've read elsewhere apparently they still get the commission.

Roy C

I've posted elsewhere on the forum but here's my most recent experience.

After my test drive in August I had agreed that I'd be ready to place an order in October to get a delivery in Spring 2018. As of yesterday (Sun 8th Oct) I'd had no followup so I tried calling the dealership - first two attempts rang out and on third attempt I did get hold of someone who said the sales guy looking after me wasn't in today but he would leave a message for him to call me back asap. By mid-afternoon today I'd had no call back so placed an order over the phone with JCT600 Sheffield after contacting them through CarWow. I will start a separate thread on MB Sheffield to follow my order process in case my experiences of this dealer and order timelines are of use to others.