Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Flat starter battery!

ding33

Had a lovely weekend away this weekend and was very happy that our new solar panel from solarcampersolutions kept the leisure battery topped up without a hookup whilst using fridge, lights etc.

Imagine my disappointment, therefore, when we went to start the engine at the end of the weekend and realised that the starter battery was flat! This was compounded by the fact that we couldn't even open the boot to get the jump leads out due to the electric locks, and the van was full to the brim of kit so couldn't get to them easily over the back seats!

Suspect the issue was that I stupidly left the key on position two for a few hours prior to departure after lowering the roof - heard something running under the bonnet (pump of some sort) but forgot to then switch off. However, am surprised that this led to a flat battery so quickly.

Any one else had this issue or any other ideas as to why battery flat?

Explorer

Made the same mistake to leave the key in position two after raising the roof. Starter battery was flat after three hours.

Ditto, you’re not alone.
My mistake was using the radio/cd player thinking that it was on the leisure circuit...duhhhh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philmop

You may also find that with key in position 2 and your headlights in auto... they come on! Only discovered this when I went to the loo....

WilvanEgdom

You could consider to also charge the starter battery with the solar panel? I am using a charger (WRM15) that can charge both batteries. It will start to charge the starter battery below a certain treshold. So, even when you do not use the van for several weeks, the starter battery will always be full. Later Viano's (mine is from 2005) have an extra cable from the mains charger to the starter battery, so you could connect it from there (see pictures of my installation).

Cheers,
Wil

RFT

I really like the stick on panels but what do you do when your roof blisters???

WilvanEgdom

Hah, then we have to repair them I guess. ;-) I do not expect blisters under the poly carbonat panel since it is completely sealed. The solar panel itself can be removed if it fails and I can install a new one fairly easily. I expect it will not easily fail (happens sometimes due to overheating) because of the poly carbonat panel under it which provides some cooling.

Last edited: