Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric tailgate doesn't lift up

funkyegg

Hi guys,

The electric tailgate on my 67 MP intermittently fails to lift up. When it happens, after pressing the release button (either above the number plate or using the key fob), the tailgate gets unlocked as I could hear the clicks but it does not lift up. However, when I manually lift it up a little bit and then press the unlock button again, the tailgate will lift up fully. This seems to happen more frequently when I put on the rear mounted bike rack (not tow bar version). I suspect this could be due to the deterioration of the hydraulic struts. Anyone else is experiencing similar issues? cheers

GJW

I had the same issue. I carefully cleaned the bodywork all the way around the boot seal, paying attention to the grooves in the black seal. Make sure you do both the boot and the van. Problem solved for me.

funkyegg

I had the same issue. I carefully cleaned the bodywork all the way around the boot seal, paying attention to the grooves in the black seal. Make sure you do both the boot and the van. Problem solved for me.
Okay great - I will give that a try!

Tony Bartlett

Hi guys,

The electric tailgate on my 67 MP intermittently fails to lift up. When it happens, after pressing the release button (either above the number plate or using the key fob), the tailgate gets unlocked as I could hear the clicks but it does not lift up. However, when I manually lift it up a little bit and then press the unlock button again, the tailgate will lift up fully. This seems to happen more frequently when I put on the rear mounted bike rack (not tow bar version). I suspect this could be due to the deterioration of the hydraulic struts. Anyone else is experiencing similar issues? cheers
I had the same and have the bike rack installed. Cleaning and applying silicon lubricant to the rubber guides on each side of the door and aperture solved the issue. I think the rubber gets tacky and the resistance causes the door to reclose or remain closed. Pressing and holding the key fob at a particular height can also result in the final opening position to be memorised. I think I did this, accidentally, when the door was not in the required open position. And so the door never fully opened until reset using the key fob (see your instructions for the van).

funkyegg

I had the same and have the bike rack installed. Cleaning and applying silicon lubricant to the rubber guides on each side of the door and aperture solved the issue. I think the rubber gets tacky and the resistance causes the door to reclose or remain closed. Pressing and holding the key fob at a particular height can also result in the final opening position to be memorised. I think I did this, accidentally, when the door was not in the required open position. And so the door never fully opened until reset using the key fob (see your instructions for the van).
Cheers Tony, I will go through your suggestions this weekend.

The fat controller

Great to hear. After seeing this post I took the precaution of giving mine a clean & lube. It did seem to be sticking a little in the warmer weather especially but is good as gold now also