Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike Rack

GeorgeG

Adam

Our bikes are a Scott Spark full suspension 29er and a Liv full suspension 27.5” (tried uploading photos, but file size too big). Do you think they’d fit on a 2-bike carrier, or that a 3-bike carrier would be better, especially when I put the off-road tyres back on? Is yours the Strada DL3 non-folding?

Adam

Our bikes are a Scott Spark full suspension 29er and a Liv full suspension 27.5” (tried uploading photos, but file size too big). Do you think they’d fit on a 2-bike carrier, or that a 3-bike carrier would be better, especially when I put the off-road tyres back on? Is yours the Strada DL3 non-folding?

Ours is an ams 29’er and zesty 26, they would sit next to each other but when we’ve done that we have needed to pad things out with pipe lagging to avoid rub. We also have dropper seatposts which helps with getting the handle bars and saddles next to each other.

2 would be possible for sure but I don’t mind that we have the three and the extra space.

Ours is the DL3 non folding one

davidk

Ours is an ams 29’er and zesty 26, they would sit next to each other but when we’ve done that we have needed to pad things out with pipe lagging to avoid rub. We also have dropper seatposts which helps with getting the handle bars and saddles next to each other.

2 would be possible for sure but I don’t mind that we have the three and the extra space.

We have an Atera Strada DL3 that we use with our Viano MP and we just about get away with an MTB with 720mm bars on the inside position without needing to turn the bars, although it is close to the window.

We used to have a Strada 2 but would agree the 3 is much better for 2 MTBs, and dropper posts help too.

mptripsaway

Hi Braysaway

Any chance you could let me know the total projection of your VARIO 3 from the rear of your MP bumper? I have abandoned the Vario 2 as you can’t open the tailgate, but I want to keep the whole rig below 6m as some ferry operators can be a bit fussy.
Sorry, I'm away at the moment without the bike rack. I'll have a look for you when home.

GeorgeG

Hi Adam, thanks for info.

I’ve just downloaded spec sheets for the DL3 and the Vario 3. Amongst the differences is the wheelbase they each accommodate - 120 for the Vario and 125 for the DL3. My 29er has a 125 wheelbase. Do you think it would fit on the DL3, despite the specs? I guess your 29er must be quite long. I’m edging towards the DL3 on cost grounds - £200 cheaper! Also, the upright on the Vario is only 20mm from the centre of the tow ball, whereas the upright on the DL is 130mm from the centre of the tow ball. I imagine this means it is easier to accommodate handlebars on the DL.

Carol

Hi .do you know what the overall measurement is from the MP bodywork to the furthest point on rack . I am particularly interested in this as I heard somebody had to pay extra for ferry due to overall length.

@GeorgeG apologies I totally forgot to reply to you! Did you get sorted in the end?

@Carol I have never measured it I am afraid, but the van is 5140mm plus say 150mm for the tow bar then the bike rack says it’s 720mm so it could well be a smidge over 6m especially if you have a handle bar poking over the back

GeorgeG

@GeorgeG apologies I totally forgot to reply to you! Did you get sorted in the end?

@Carol I have never measured it I am afraid, but the van is 5140mm plus say 150mm for the tow bar then the bike rack says it’s 720mm so it could well be a smidge over 6m especially if you have a handle bar poking over the back

No problem Adam, I bought the Mercedes (Atera) 3 bike carrier from Germany in the end and fortunately it comes in at just under 6m overall.

Kirk Trewin

Kirk Trewin

VIP Member
Hi all

We also Purchased the Altero Strada3 and fitted to my 220d AMG styles MP and it fits perfectly, carries three bikes no problem AND critically allows the tailgate to fully open when tilted with the three bikes attached; but only by 1/2cms. The folding action when not in use saves a ton of space too....absolutely the only option you should select.

It can also be upgraded to a four bike holder by adding an attachment.

Gareth Lloyd

Hi All

I've just purchased a Horizon sport and am looking at bike rack options. Most people seem to be going for tow bar bike rack, which I'm a bit reluctant to do, as I don't intend to tow anything ...I only need a bike rack. The mercedes official that hangs on the back is £876 (see link below and photo attached) , so obviously that is the default expensive option in my case. Does anyone have any experience of any other rear mounted bike racks that they can comment on ?

https://configurator.mercedes-benz-...or-language-0-languageitem&cartransporter=carv class bike rack.jpg

Kirk Trewin

Kirk Trewin

VIP Member
Hey Gareth, your option isn’t that expensive if you haven’t got the tow bar fitted. I’ve heard mixed reports on rear mounted racks, such as I’m not sure if the rear door would lift with the bikes in place as it may place too much stress on the motors. if that’s not an issue then fair enough.....what ever you do though this vehicle is epic for bike rides away. The best there is in fact.

GeorgeG

Hi All

I've just purchased a Horizon sport and am looking at bike rack options. Most people seem to be going for tow bar bike rack, which I'm a bit reluctant to do, as I don't intend to tow anything ...I only need a bike rack. The mercedes official that hangs on the back is £876 (see link below and photo attached) , so obviously that is the default expensive option in my case. Does anyone have any experience of any other rear mounted bike racks that they can comment on ?

https://configurator.mercedes-benz-...or-language-0-languageitem&cartransporter=carView attachment 193

I went for a towbar carrier even though I don’t intend to tow anything - but handy just in case. I paid just over £500 for a quality Westfalia removable bar (originally Westfalia tow bars and camper vans were part of the same company and are still next door to each other in Rheda- Weidenbrück).

I bought the Mercedes 3-bike carrier (which is made by Atera in Germany) from Mercedes in Germany and is cheaper than buying in the UK. They only charge €7 for carriage and you can return it FOC if you don’t want it! They are on offer at the moment for €559.90 (probably about £500 depending on current exchange rate).

Also, bear in mind that not only does it fold, but you also get a free sturdy canvas bag ,from Mercedes Germany, to store it in which costs at least another £50 in the UK. The tailgate does clear the carrier (just) when it’s lowered, especially with the bikes attached - the weight of the bikes helps to keep it clear of the upright rail.

I’ve used the VW type tailgate rack before (on a California). OK if you have light bikes. We use two full suspension mountain bikes which are much easier to attach at the lower level of the towbar carrier. Also, the bikes do not protrude above the roof which is a significant advantage if you want to use car parks with height barriers. I nearly came to grief a few years ago in the California when driving through a low underpass, forgetting the bikes were on the back. A passing motorcyclist indicated, by way of grimace, how close I’d come to ripping the bikes and rack off the van!
Another consideration of mine was that due to our advanced age (late 60’s), despite good fitness levels, the time may come for the dreaded electric bikes. The Atera carriers will take the weight of a fairly typical electric bike. Try lifting one of those onto a rear mounted tailgate rack!

For me the towbar carrier at about £1,000 for quality is a no brainer and you can of course get a towbar for a lot less as well as a cheaper carrier. When I’m at home using the MP as a daily driver I can remove the towbar and not have to continually stare at a permanent bike rack through the rear window.

Gareth Lloyd

Hey Gareth, your option isn’t that expensive if you haven’t got the tow bar fitted. I’ve heard mixed reports on rear mounted racks, such as I’m not sure if the rear door would lift with the bikes in place as it may place too much stress on the motors. if that’s not an issue then fair enough.....what ever you do though this vehicle is epic for bike rides away. The best there is in fact.
Many thanks ...good comment about the electric powered doors taking the weight...bound to be an issue, unless i take rack off every time I want to open door!

Gareth Lloyd

I went for a towbar carrier even though I don’t intend to tow anything - but handy just in case. I paid just over £500 for a quality Westfalia removable bar (originally Westfalia tow bars and camper vans were part of the same company and are still next door to each other in Rheda- Weidenbrück).

I bought the Mercedes 3-bike carrier (which is made by Atera in Germany) from Mercedes in Germany and is cheaper than buying in the UK. They only charge €7 for carriage and you can return it FOC if you don’t want it! They are on offer at the moment for €559.90 (probably about £500 depending on current exchange rate).

Also, bear in mind that not only does it fold, but you also get a free sturdy canvas bag ,from Mercedes Germany, to store it in which costs at least another £50 in the UK. The tailgate does clear the carrier (just) when it’s lowered, especially with the bikes attached - the weight of the bikes helps to keep it clear of the upright rail.

I’ve used the VW type tailgate rack before (on a California). OK if you have light bikes. We use two full suspension mountain bikes which are much easier to attach at the lower level of the towbar carrier. Also, the bikes do not protrude above the roof which is a significant advantage if you want to use car parks with height barriers. I nearly came to grief a few years ago in the California when driving through a low underpass, forgetting the bikes were on the back. A passing motorcyclist indicated, by way of grimace, how close I’d come to ripping the bikes and rack off the van!
Another consideration of mine was that due to our advanced age (late 60’s), despite good fitness levels, the time may come for the dreaded electric bikes. The Atera carriers will take the weight of a fairly typical electric bike. Try lifting one of those onto a rear mounted tailgate rack!

For me the towbar carrier at about £1,000 for quality is a no brainer and you can of course get a towbar for a lot less as well as a cheaper carrier. When I’m at home using the MP as a daily driver I can remove the towbar and not have to continually stare at a permanent bike rack through the rear window.

Thanks for this reply, very useful. £500 sounds reasonable for a tow bar. I do have a concern on the electrics . I have read horror reports about people having all sorts of electrical issues after fitting tower/electrics. the safest way would be to go to Mercedes, but they are quoting £2000 for a tow bar...but at least I would know they would take responsibility for whole vehicle/fitting. Any advice on sussing out how to 'qualify' a third party tow bar fitter for Mercedes electrics ?

GeorgeG

Thanks for this reply, very useful. £500 sounds reasonable for a tow bar. I do have a concern on the electrics . I have read horror reports about people having all sorts of electrical issues after fitting tower/electrics. the safest way would be to go to Mercedes, but they are quoting £2000 for a tow bar...but at least I would know they would take responsibility for whole vehicle/fitting. Any advice on sussing out how to 'qualify' a third party tow bar fitter for Mercedes electrics ?

When negotiating to buy my pre-reg MP I asked for a towbar to be fitted FOC by the supplying dealer. They wouldn’t entertain fitting it themselves and actually recommended a third party tow bar fitter they often used in my situation. I subsequently discovered why they would not fit it themselves when I got my local Mercedes dealer to quote for fitting. From memory, it came to over £2,000 - probably about £2,200. The reason is that they will only fit them to cover the worst case scenario, i.e. towing the maximum load, in which case they have to upgrade the oil cooler and carry out quite a lot of modifications which are quite unnecessary if you only intend to fit a bike carrier.

The supplying dealer’s recommended third party fitter quoted about £500 for a fixed bar. I had a much better quality (Westfalia) tow bar fitted locally by a company known to me and who I trust. It actually cost £525 in the end. I’ve just checked the invoice and they had to use a different wiring kit in the end to wire it to the front of the vehicle - they mistakenly assumed there was a way to connect into the electrics in the rear offside panel, which is the case with some V-Class vehicles. My local fitter also told me they fit quite a few towbars to cars supplied by the local Mercedes dealer and they didn’t think there would be any future warranty issues as their work was seen to be to the dealers satisfaction.

Everything works fine, just as a factory fit bar. Most of the time I have it removed for normal daily use and the bike carrier sits folded away in the garage in its nice Mercedes bag.

Paul Merritt

If you just need a pair of bikes to get around a couple of Bromptons fit under the bed move the seat forward and slot the chairs in behind

Gareth Lloyd

When negotiating to buy my pre-reg MP I asked for a towbar to be fitted FOC by the supplying dealer. They wouldn’t entertain fitting it themselves and actually recommended a third party tow bar fitter they often used in my situation. I subsequently discovered why they would not fit it themselves when I got my local Mercedes dealer to quote for fitting. From memory, it came to over £2,000 - probably about £2,200. The reason is that they will only fit them to cover the worst case scenario, i.e. towing the maximum load, in which case they have to upgrade the oil cooler and carry out quite a lot of modifications which are quite unnecessary if you only intend to fit a bike carrier.

The supplying dealer’s recommended third party fitter quoted about £500 for a fixed bar. I had a much better quality (Westfalia) tow bar fitted locally by a company known to me and who I trust. It actually cost £525 in the end. I’ve just checked the invoice and they had to use a different wiring kit in the end to wire it to the front of the vehicle - they mistakenly assumed there was a way to connect into the electrics in the rear offside panel, which is the case with some V-Class vehicles. My local fitter also told me they fit quite a few towbars to cars supplied by the local Mercedes dealer and they didn’t think there would be any future warranty issues as their work was seen to be to the dealers satisfaction.

Everything works fine, just as a factory fit bar. Most of the time I have it removed for normal daily use and the bike carrier sits folded away in the garage in its nice Mercedes bag.

George , Hi I notice you are located in Dorest, which isn't too far from me...would you mind giving me the details of who fitted the tow bar ?

GeorgeG

George , Hi I notice you are located in Dorest, which isn't too far from me...would you mind giving me the details of who fitted the tow bar ?

Hi Gareth, it was fitted by Dorchester Car Radios. My son is a friend of the owner’s son who does most of the tow bar fitting and was responsible for expanding the business in this direction. They do mobile fitting as well, but not sure what area they cover, but I know they go into Somerset and I seem to remember they have been as far as Devon. I suggest you phone 01305 260000 and ask for Chris who fitted my tow bar so will know what’s involved. He has previous experience of the V-Class, but the MP is a bit different apparently.
The owner, Chris’s dad, is best avoided - he’s not far from retirement and is a nightmare to pin down on detail. To be fair to him, he’s been in the car radio business since the 1970’s and is incredibly knowledgeable and a good bloke.