Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike Rack

Paul Taylor

Hi,

Anyone know if there are alternative bike racks to the one from Mercedes?

Looking for rear mounted 4 bike rack

Thanks

Paul

Spekky

The Thule BackPac 2 can be extended to 4 bikes and is recommended for the V-Class MPV according to their website.
However, I am looking at the towbar bike rack, possibly the Thule EuroClassic G6. Does anyone know if the tailgate can open when this is fitted and the bikes are tilted back? I know it works on the California.

mptripsaway

I use the Atera Strada Vario3 as sold by roofbox .co.uk. I did a bit of research and I think that this is the exact bike carrier that MB sell as an accessory in two bike format but with an MB badge!
I think the Atera strada DL3 will do the same job at a lower price but I wanted the more compact storage when not in use.

Photos on " my Marco Polo has landed" thread

Last edited:

Spekky

Thanks for the recommendation. I ordered an Atera Strada.

But there is no stock for up to 6 weeks and I would like a towbar mounted bike rack before then. I wonder if anyone has the Thule Easyfold XT, which seems to meet my requirement - as long as the boot opens.

Dundry

I've bought the Thule Easyfold XT but the boot won't open fully. It is however very easy to lift off without the bikes and for me it works as I can store it easier (I also bought the storage bag). You can still get in to the rear with the bikes on through the split screen so its only inconvenient if you need to open the full boot.

Spekky

Thanks Dundry,

I have decided to wait for an Atera, which I hope will allow boot opening and now have one on order. When it arrives, I will confirm whether the boot opens or not.

Alun

Could not go for factory fitted bike rack because of AMG styling... so glad we could not - the Altera Strada DL3 is a fantastic piece of kit! I was very sceptical about the slide back action but the tail gate clears the rack by about 5cm when opened allowing excellent access to the rear without taking bikes off!

Spekky

I finally bought the atera strada vario 2. Unfortunately it does not allow the tailgate to open when slid back, but you can open the tailgate window. Disappointingly, it also won't take a race road bike on the mount nearest the door as the sliders even at the minimum are still too far apart for the wheelbase. The outer mount is shorter.

Apart from that, I had to order it from Germany as there was no stock in the UK and it came with a loose and non-functional tail light bulb. Now fixed. Probably going on ebay.

mptripsaway

I finally bought the atera strada vario 2. Unfortunately it does not allow the tailgate to open when slid back, but you can open the tailgate window. Disappointingly, it also won't take a race road bike on the mount nearest the door as the sliders even at the minimum are still too far apart for the wheelbase. The outer mount is shorter.

Apart from that, I had to order it from Germany as there was no stock in the UK and it came with a loose and non-functional tail light bulb. Now fixed. Probably going on ebay.

I have the Vario 3 from roofbox.co.uk and that does allow tailgate to open when tilted.

Spekky

Perhaps because the Vario 3 is bigger, there is a longer slide and tilt, giving more room for the door.

mptripsaway

Perhaps because the Vario 3 is bigger, there is a longer slide and tilt, giving more room for the door.
Yes, that is the reason. I went for the Vario as opposed to the DL because when folded it can be easily stowed in the cabin whilst out cycling.

GeorgeG

I’ve just booked my MP in for a tow bar fitting in order to take a bike carrier, and no other reason. I’m now worried I will not be able to source a 2-bike carrier that will allow the tailgate to open. I may cancel the tow bar if this is the case as I don’t particularly want a large 3or 4 bike carrier.

Anyone out there who’s successfully fitted a 2-bike towbar carrier and still manage to open the tailgate? I also don’t want to fit a tailgate mounted rack as the bikes are too high up to go through height barriers.

BTW, the German Mercedes website offers 2 and 3 bike carriers badged as Mercedes, but actually made by Altera. They state that you cannot open the tailgate with the Vario2, but you can with the Vario3, as confirmed by Braysaway.

GeorgeG

I use the Atera Strada Vario3 as sold by roofbox .co.uk. I did a bit of research and I think that this is the exact bike carrier that MB sell as an accessory in two bike format but with an MB badge!
I think the Atera strada DL3 will do the same job at a lower price but I wanted the more compact storage when not in use.

Photos on " my Marco Polo has landed" thread

Hi Braysaway

Any chance you could let me know the total projection of your VARIO 3 from the rear of your MP bumper? I have abandoned the Vario 2 as you can’t open the tailgate, but I want to keep the whole rig below 6m as some ferry operators can be a bit fussy.

We’ve got the strada three bike carrier but just for two mountain bikes
It just, and I mean a hairs width just, allows us to open the tailgate as long as the support bars are all pointing the right way.

I don’t actually like the way it sits on this van, it’s less than horizontal which means the bikes lean into the van a bit

GeorgeG

We’ve got the strada three bike carrier but just for two mountain bikes
It just, and I mean a hairs width just, allows us to open the tailgate as long as the support bars are all pointing the right way.

I don’t actually like the way it sits on this van, it’s less than horizontal which means the bikes lean into the van a bit

Hi Adam

We have two full suspension bikes, so I suppose it may be easier to fit them to a 3-bike rack as it could leave more space between them.

Do you have the Vario 3 or DL3? And do you know how far it projects froom the rear of the van?

Hi Adam

We have two full suspension bikes, so I suppose it may be easier to fit them to a 3-bike rack as it could leave more space between them.

Do you have the Vario 3 or DL3? And do you know how far it projects froom the rear of the van?
Not far, the inner one has to have the bars twisted to fit. Mines a dumb 29er which doesn’t help!

It just so happens.....
So like this is a no no as it won’t clear the clamp
A99859CF-1987-4EC6-A75A-05B06ADA784C.jpeg

But like this is ok
6CF584C9-9EFC-4C5C-9EEE-E1E6E59A44A2.jpeg E9A795F1-BE32-4684-846C-2D9E008FC912.jpeg BABCA22F-9F7D-4425-B193-FB7BFA9B13D2.jpeg 4F202C18-F932-45E8-A6C1-4738874DF4AA.jpeg

davidk

Not far, the inner one has to have the bars twisted to fit. Mines a dumb 29er which doesn’t help!

How wide are the bars on the inner bike? Would they touch the window if left straight or have you turned them so you can open the tailgate?

How wide are the bars on the inner bike? Would they touch the window if left straight or have you turned them so you can open the tailgate?

I honestly don’t know!
But yes to both, even the little bike wouldn’t sit properly... it can sit there but would tap the window over bumps etc