Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Auxiliary hot water heater - battery drain query

BarryH

Hi, I have only recently taken delivery of a new MP with the auxiliary hot water heater option fitted and i’m Hoping a member may be able to provide some advice. Reading the manual it indicates use of the auxiliary hot water heater drains the vehicle ‘starter’ battery and that the MP should be driven for a significant distance to charge the battery if the heater is used two times. I think I understand how the auxiliary hot water heater works and that you can pre-set 3 departure times but does anyone know if having the MP connected to an electric hook up removes the risk of a flat starter battery? I know this sounds basic but i’d Welcome some advice/assurance. Thanks in advance.

mptripsaway

Hi, I have only recently taken delivery of a new MP with the auxiliary hot water heater option fitted and i’m Hoping a member may be able to provide some advice. Reading the manual it indicates use of the auxiliary hot water heater drains the vehicle ‘starter’ battery and that the MP should be driven for a significant distance to charge the battery if the heater is used two times. I think I understand how the auxiliary hot water heater works and that you can pre-set 3 departure times but does anyone know if having the MP connected to an electric hook up removes the risk of a flat starter battery? I know this sounds basic but i’d Welcome some advice/assurance. Thanks in advance.

The reason that it will only run for 3 x 50mins is to prevent the starter battery becoming discharged below the point at which it can no longer start the engine. Being on hook up will not change this as the rate of charge of the starter battery is only 4 amps and it will not fully charge the starter battery, it also has to have a fully charged leisure battery before that 4 amp charge goes to the starter battery.

Braysaway is correct on that nice idea tho ! If you have the hot water heater you can easily fit a eberspacher d2 under the passenger seat have a look and read of my install guide having the hot water option means you don't have to drop the fuel tank so it's a day job for a professional hope this helps

BarryH

The reason that it will only run for 3 x 50mins is to prevent the starter battery becoming discharged below the point at which it can no longer start the engine. Being on hook up will not change this as the rate of charge of the starter battery is only 4 amps and it will not fully charge the starter battery, it also has to have a fully charged leisure battery before that 4 amp charge goes to the starter battery.
Thanks for the information it’s really helpful. On reflection i’m not sure opting for the auxiliary water heater was worthwhile.

BarryH

Braysaway is correct on that nice idea tho ! If you have the hot water heater you can easily fit a eberspacher d2 under the passenger seat have a look and read of my install guide having the hot water option means you don't have to drop the fuel tank so it's a day job for a professional hope this helps
Thanks i’ll have a look.

No probs, I'm happy with it as it's remote control from the app my eberspacher is only on a timer so isn't remote control the got water one can be switched on from anywhere as long as you have a phone signal,in other words it's best to have both