Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

About to buy an AMG MP, I think....

ClaireDe

Hi all

I'm new to the forum (so pleased to have found it) and hoping someone can help me with a couple of questions, please.

We were going to buy a Sport but now looking at the AMG - does anyone have any feedback about the suspension v the Sport? Or anything else? Obviously I'm going to have to watch those alloys on kerbs!

I would like to buy the rear mounted MB bike rack but it says on the website 'not in conjunction with rear door or AMG spoiler lip'. Not sure if I've misunderstood but it sounds like it won't fit with the the AMG spoiler - but that doesn't make sense for MB to rule out selling bike racks to AMG MP owners. Does anyone have the MB bike rack with the AMG?

Thanks

Dundry

I have the AMG and run in Comfort mode on the suspension and its very nice to drive. I did run it Sport once and didnt really notice a difference. I have a tow bar mounted cycle rack which I prefer as I can lift it off and its a bit sturdier than a boot mounted one.

ClaireDe

Thanks Dundry for the feedback - I do like the AMG version.
I do have a tow bar bike rack but small driveway and no garage means it's in a shed. Really like the look and ease of the MB one - just want to make sure it fits with the AMG spoiler.

Roy C

In the e-brochure on page 53 it states:
"08 | Rear mounted bicycle rack on tailgate
High-quality anodised aluminium rack, fits quickly and securely to the tailgate. For up to 4 bicycles (or 2 ebikes) of virtually any type or size. Even with bicycle rack fitted, tailgate can still be opened. No repeater lights, so no power supply required at rear. Maximum payload 70 kg. Lockable. Not in conjunction with rear door or AMG spoiler lip.
RRP £876.00 (incl. VAT)"

However via this link to the Mercedes-Benz shop in Germany from which I have ordered a couple of items - https://mercedes-benz-serviceshop.d...7-4950-9b5d-af90418676cf/Products/A4478901700

It states:
"High-quality anodised aluminium rack, fits quickly and securely to the tailgate. For up to 4 cycles (or 2 ebikes) of virtually any type or size. The tailgate can still be opened even when the unladen rack is in place. No repeater lights, so no power supply required at rear. Maximum payload: 70 kg. Lockable.

• For Marco Polo variants and vehicles with AMG spoiler lip"

The pictures look identical and some of the text is word-for-word so likely the same rack. On the second link there is a button (just under the price, which is cheaper here, by the way) to ask a question so maybe you can contact them and ask them to confirm the rack doers indeed fit with the AMG spoiler.

WILLH

I have seen an AMG model with a tailgate mounted bike rack so it must be possible.Think the one I saw came from MB brooklands-mayne give them a call and see if they supplied it?

mptripsaway

I think the important point is tailgate can only be opened with an "unladen" bike rack, the tow bar mounted tilting rack allows access at all times.

ClaireDe

Thanks both. I have had a dealer confirm that it will work with the AMG spoiler (using the VIN). The AMG I'm considering buying doesn't have a tow bar so it will need to be the rear mounted one.

Thanks all for your helpful advice.

Telboy

We have an AMG line van with a rear spoiler and I bought a Thule 3 bike rack from Halfords and it is really good, it's very secure, folds up and the straps go over the spoiler. If you go into a Halfords store make sure you know the online price because they will price match and you will save quite a bit.

ClaireDe

Thanks Telboy. I'll have a look at the Thule bike racks. We've decided on the AMG so now just need to decide on bike rack - and no doubt loads more accessories!

Matt

We have an AMG line van with a rear spoiler and I bought a Thule 3 bike rack from Halfords and it is really good, it's very secure, folds up and the straps go over the spoiler. If you go into a Halfords store make sure you know the online price because they will price match and you will save quite a bit.

Hi Telboy. Hope you don’t mind me asking but is your bike rack the Thule Raceway 3. I’m a little concerned that the weight in the rear spoiler may damage it. Thanks

Carol

Hello. We have the Marco Polo 250 AMG ,very pleased with it. Had factory fitted towbar , We purchased a Pro User PLUS towbar bike rack complete with correct pin lighting socket . This allow 2 ebikes to be carried ,also tiltable this then allows MP tailgate to open. Oh it can be tilted with bikes locked on.It was a bit expensive about £350 but also fold s and goes into cover that zips up and can fit in most car boots .
This was on show at the Cali MP owners camp in the summer. Hope this helps with your decision